FOURTEEN

"Lord Farlington and I met briefly yesterday"

"Oh, Charles you might have told me"

"He would be joining us for dinner during the fall..."

"Fascinating!"

"Yes, indeed."

[INHALES]

"Your grace! If I may ask, how was your expedition to the town yesterday?" His Grandmother began.

"[DEEP INHALE] I Rather not speak about it for the journey was indeed a disaster and I will not be staying long in the town no more." He said with a sharp tone and a look that matched it.

"And why is that? What has caused this misery of yours to fly out the window? Yesterday, you were so excited about visiting the children's performance but today you are all... dilapidated!"

"Mother, I certainly say, it is nothing to worry about." He said in a whisper.

[SIGHS]" And I certainly not agree with your words, your grace! Look at you, a shade of yourself, you are heartbroken, I know one, when I see one, Charles!"  Charles smiled weakly.

"So now speak! I want to hear it all... What has made you this doleful?" She asked.

[SIGHS] "She's a princess!" 

She stood up and shouted. "A princess! That's great news."

"She lied to me Mother! "

She cocked her head, wondering if she had somehow misheard me. "I beg your pardon, Charles?"

 [SIGHS]"She defiled me of the truth the whole time, pretending to be a town girl, running off as soon as the town bells ring at three... Everything was a forgery."

"But if I am to speak in earnest...You likewise did the same thing. So why are you so ventured about it, when it's the solution to your long-sighted dreams." His grandmother leaned over and patted his hand.

"Precisely, I may have done the same thing but not in this way. Her confession of being the princess would have made things move sweetly.."

"Do not think too much about it, Charles! I certainly, believe things are going to be perfect between the two of you." She leaned over and kissed his temple.

"Thank you, Mother." 

**********************************

"Send out the invitees. Alert the caterers. I want you to recognize a ball as this kingdom has never seen before. My son is going to find himself his Queen tonight..."

"Uhm... your majesty, but I do not understand..."

"Colin, the prince is in love. He needs to present his princess to the whole kingdom...Invite every princess, eligible for marriage to the ball, send the invites, immediately."

'Yes, My lady"

[FOOTSTEPS APPROACHING]

"Ball? What ball mother?" He asked.

"You are going to host a ball tomorrow night, in favour of your interest in marriage."

"Is it about the Princess?"

[CHUCKLES]"Yes, Charles, that's tremendous news and I assure you that a ball will be the perfect idea for reconnecting you two ." She smiled.

[GROAN] "This is an absurd mother! Atrocious! "

"And why am I that?" 

"Well, maybe because she doesn't know I am the prince. Mother, how do you think she will react when she finds out I am also a prince... definitely, it will end things between us..." He paced up the room anticipating.

"Charles! You are a prince, sweep her off her feet, I believe you can..." She took a wide step around him and headed back to the garden.

******************************

🤴~

I hid my anger and feigned willing obedience as I sank into my cushion, thinking about the idea of Kleo finding out I am a prince, it's somewhat like betrayal. Staring at the letters before me, I knew they were all from her. She never stopped writing letters but I choose not to read them for the anger still burns inside of me. With one half of my mind, I was thinking about how to untangle the knot in this delicate thread and with the other, it was excruciating not to read the letters.

I do not doubt, most courteous and loyal Sir, Archer, that what I did was sincerely displeasing, for I remember how we once complained of deception done by certain friends, who until now have gone hoaxed, which fact has caused us same trouble. This despair has been further increased daily for the wrong I had caused you. 
May it please you Archer to call to mind my forgiveness and that we make things right between us, for no other reason will repeat itself.

Kleopatra Sultan.