Living Purdy- My Heart Is Still Strong

A week from being released from the hospital I was set up for my first chemotherapy treatment. Cayden was driving us to the clinic, while I was sitting in the passenger seat, shaking like a leaf on a tree. We pulled up to the parking lot of the clinic and pulled into the nearest spot, parking the car.

"Well, you ready?" Cayden asked putting his hand on top of mine. I looked up at him with an unsure look and gave a weak smile. "You'll be fine. And I'll be sitting next to you the whole time." Cayden smiled, kissing my cheek and got out of the car.

I walked up to the receptionist's desk and signed my name, waiting to be called for my treatment. I slumped in the chair next to Cayden and held tightly onto his hand. Cayden rested his hand on my knee, patting it gently and kissed the top of my head.

The door opened up and a nurse holding a clipboard appeared. "Autumn Purdy?" she called. I looked up and then back at Cayden, standing up. I walked to the door with Cayden behind me and followed the nurse to the room. I sat down in a blue reclining chair and looked around at the other people surrounding me. I don't belong here. This is not where I'm supposed to be. I should be home, getting prepared start my first day at college! Not getting chemotherapy.

"Alright, I'm going to get your IV started and then your doctor will come in to speak with you" my nurse gathering the gauze, tape and the needles! I closed my eyes for a second and looked over at Cayden who had his face attached to his iPhone. I bit down on my lip as I felt the needle pierce through my flesh. And now the fun begins!

My doctor who performed my surgery walked in, taking a seat and began to explain my treatment process. My treatments will be bi-weekly, my medications will be given through my IVs, I'll be here for half an hour, and I'll have a follow up every month. Once he was done talking, he gave the nurse the OK to administer the drugs through my IV.

"Do you feel anything?" Cayden asked sitting beside me

"I don't know yet? Its only the beginning, Cayden" I said smiling weakly.

An hour into my treatment, I think the side effects were starting to kick in. I was half asleep while listening to Cayden talk about something on Twitter. I closed my eyes as the last word I heard was "Retweet." I rested my head back and began a deep slumber.

"Autumn! Autumn!" I snapped my eyes open and glared at Cayden, who annoyingly woke me up!

"What?!" I snapped at him

"Don't fall asleep on me!"

"Why?! I'm tired!"

"This just scares me and I want you alert" Cayden grabbed my hand and looked at me with pleading eyes. I rolled my eyes at him and sighed.

"Fine, I'll try to stay awake" I glared at him and squeezed Cayden's fingers hard. "Alert enough for you, dear?"

"OOHHH!! Yeah! You're alert!" Cayden pulled back his hand and examined his hand, almost crying. Every few minutes my nurses would come in and either change my fluids bag or just make sure I was comfortable as possible. I didn't mind it the first few times, but after the tenth time, I was getting annoyed. Uggh, keep it together Autumn! You got only a few more minutes left and then you can go home!

My stomach hurts, I'm tired, hungry. I want to sleep in my bed and just stay there for another week, until I'm ready to come back here. I looked over and watched Cayden focus his attention on the small television set they had for patients to watch. After all the troubles we've been through with us being teen parents, attempted homicide, cheating, death, and yet he's still here! Beside me while I battle a serious illness. He's my rock. I smiled at him, placing my hand on his cheek. Cayden turned his head, looking down at me and smiled back.

"I love you" I said

"I love you too"

Ashley's POV

"How do you think her first treatment is going? Do you think she's getting side effects? Did Cayden go back with her? Did the nurses let him stay? Can Autumn eat-"

"ASHLEY!" Brooke yelled, stopping me from rambling. "I'm sure Autumn's fine. There are nurses and doctors at the clinic, she's getting care she needs. Now sit down, watch Mickey Mouse with the babies and Autumn will be home shortly. Just be patient, Ash."

"You're right. All I have to do is be patient. Everything will be OK. I'll just sit down, watch Mick- HEY! I'm a little old for baby shows aren't I?" I chuckled

"It'll keep your mind occupied for the time being, Ash. Plus, it almost worked until you caught on" Brooke laughed walking into the kitchen. I can never win against my wife, can I? Nope! I sighed, sitting next to my son and daughter and watched their favorite program with them.