Living Purdy-It's Agony

Ashley's POV

"ASH!!" I heard Cayden yelling for me downstairs. I ran out of my room and quickly made it down the steps into the living room to see what was going on. "What's wrong??" I asked

"I need to get Autumn upstairs. Could you help me with propping her up?" he asked. I shook my head 'Yes' and made my way over to the couch. Three months ago, Autumn had another chemo session and it wasn't too good. The doctor pulled me and Brooke into the conference room and said that Autumn won't last very much. The cancer has spread to her liver and is attacking her gallbladder. Chemo won't do much and putting her on an organ donor's list would just complicate things. Autumn only has a few more months. Her doctor said Autumn probably won't see another summer. It crushed me just hearing that!

Brooke told Cayden once he got home from work and the poor kid went ballistic. Who could blame him? I had a mental breakdown in the hospital parking lot. We did let Autumn know of her condition and believe it or not, she's not afraid. She told me "Don't worry dad, I'm not scared. We're Purdy's and Purdy's never show fear." I propped Autumn up with a pillow behind her back and pushed some of her hair back. My daughter was deathly ill and I nor any doctor could help anymore. I felt horrible.

"Autumn? You alright? Do you want something to drink?" I asked

"No, I just want to sleep. In my bed" she said

"Come on." Cayden carefully scooped Autumn up and carried her bridal style to the bedroom. She was so weak, Autumn couldn't keep her head up. Cayden had to hold her head like a newborn's. I sighed sitting on the couch, putting my head in my hands.

"Ashley?" I looked up and saw Brooke standing there. I motioned her over to sit by me and wrapped my arm around her shoulder once she was settled. "Ashley? Do you think we should call hospice? For help?" Brooke asked

"No! Autumn's fine with us. A nurse can't carry her upstairs like Cayden and I can!" I defended

"Yeah, but it would be nice knowing we had a skilled nurse helping with Autumn"

"No, I don't want anymore nurses or doctors annoying my daughter!" I got up from the couch pissed and walked outside to the patio. I know I probably just caused a potential divorce there, but I think Autumn is tired of the nurses poking and prodding her. Its finally sinking into me and this disease is killing me, mentally.