Deviled Eggs

C a t

New York and New Jersey, somehow, found themselves in the middle of New York City. Neither could remember the reasons why they were there because they had been arguing so much. Mostly because the New Yorker had got tired of the smaller state making fun of almost everything. All except... Candles...? For some reason.

They stopped at a couple of stores and all NY heard was the bitch complaining.

"This place has some real shit design, typical for you."

"Oh, God! Why is there so much of your fucking shitty ass pizza in just one city alone!"

"Can't you be willing enough to, oh I dunno, remove the trash all over your sidewalks for hell's sake!"

Like...

Does he ever shut up?

They both walked around aimlessly at this point. Ignoring crosswalks (what even are those?) and anyone trying to sell them some shit DVD with an excuse of "Oh, sorry, we're in a hurry" or just plain pretending they didn't hear them.

All seemed... Decent.

I mean. Neither of the two was dead so...

Pretty good actually!

After a while of just passing shops and peeking inside, New Jersey stopped in front of a pet store. His eyes focused intensity on one thing that New York was too far ahead to see. "Hey, dipshit. The fuck you doing?" He hissed.

NJ didn't even respond. Which worried the other a tad. Normally, he'd respond with something quick within an instant. The other state huffed and trudged over to see whatever the hell he was looking at.

The Northeastern state was distracted by... A kitten?

Now New York was really confused.

The cat was cute, he'll admit, but not really something he'd pause to stare at. It was just another black cat with bright yellow eyes. So... Why was New Jersey hypnotized by it? "Hey, earth to Jersey? You there dumbass?" Said the Empire state, waving his hand in front of the other's unmoving eyes.

Without another word, NJ walked into the store. NY quickly followed after him.

"Hello, gentleman! What can I do for you today?" Asked the woman, who clearly looked exhausted, at the counter.

"I want to adopt this cat." New Jersey spoke softly, then he reached into the little play area the animals were in and grabbed the kitten. "How much?"

"Oh! 75 dollars and additional cat equipment would be around 300-400 dollars. Depending on how much and expensive you want it. Plus a collar would add another ten to that." New Jersey nodded and walked over to a rack of small collars of various shapes and colors.

NY huffed and stormed over to him. "The hell are you doing?!" He asked urgently. "Why the fuck are you adopting some cat?" He continued, his eyes glancing downward at the thing as it licked NJ's arm happily.

"Deviled Eggs and I are going home together." Insisted NJ. He grabbed a yellow collar, that mimicked the kitten's eyes before returning to the register.

"What the fuck are you talking about?! You've never had a pet before?! Do you even know what you're doing?" The smaller state ignored the other.

"What would you like the name to be on your collar. I also need a phone number to inscribe on the back as well in case she gets lost."

"Deviled Eggs." He replied, earning a strange look from the woman but typing in the name for her machine anyway. After everything was said and done, NJ and NY left.

"What the fuck, New Jersey? You can hardly take care of yourself let alone this... Cat?! What on God's green fucking earth prompted you to get it?" New York spat. Noticing the cat narrows her eyes and hiss at him.

"She's like me." That was the only reply he got. And no matter how hard he tried, he didn't get another.

Nothing else needed to be said anyway.

Idk.

I like NJ having a cat and naming it Deviled Eggs for no reason at all tbh-

Just seems fitting for him.