Chapter Eighty-Five

"Rave"

"Rave"

7.1K words

______<•>______

      It was colder in Aspen's room than she initially remembered. It was practically untouched. Her shoes from running were strewn in front of her closet. A cold tea mug sat on her nightstand collecting dust. Her bed was unmade, her pillow on the floor. Her curtain had been drawn closed though. That's something she never did. She padded her way across her bedroom, opening the curtain to let the setting sun send an orange pigmented hue to her room. It felt like she was a living sunbeam. While she almost let herself reminisce about the night she and Isaac spent in here alone, she had a grimoire to find.

She double-checked the whole house to make sure no one was home before turning Mina's upside down. She knocked on all the floorboards, checking for a hollow area. She's seen it in the movies so she wouldn't be surprised to find a hidden compartment. After knocking on the walls next, she checked her bathroom. Nothing. Not even in the air vents. Aspen let out a frustrated grunt slamming her hands on the shower curtain before plopping on the toilet seat. She stayed still with her face buried in her hands. Then stopped breathing. She let her ears catch the gentle splash of water against the tub. She slowly rose, brows furrowed, mouth agape in confusion. When she pushed back the curtain, the tub was filled halfway with water.

Aspen let a thought poke her brain. But so was stupid. Mina was an Elementalist of water. Her power had a limit to some point--well not if you had a grimoire that basically let Elementalist gain more power than what they're originally capable of.

Aspen smiled at the thought when she first used her power. Her water bottle nearly flew across the table.

Aspen lowered to her knees, letting her finger skim the surface of the water before retracting like she had touched fire. "Shit!" she hissed, tucking her fingers against her chest. When she looked down at them, they were throbbing red. Nicely done, Mina. Not suspiciously hiding something at all.

Aspen sat back on her heels, bracing her hands on the cold edge of the tub. She inhaled deeply, letting her eyes flutter shut. After a few moments, she opened her eyes and they were shining white. Her expression became stoic and in one swift movement, she leaned forward, letting her hands dive into the scorching water. Her pale arms lined with graying veins reddened but Aspen's expression was unfazed. Her hands moved about until they hit something solid. It was invisible. She grabbed the object and lofted it from the water., and tossed it behind her on the rug.

Aspen shuddered in place, her eyes rolling to the back of her head before she came back to. She let out a cry as she looked down at her red skin. She scrambled to her feet, careful not to slip on the wet floor. She yanked the cold tap on and let her arms run under the freezing water. Aspen let out a sigh and leaned forward to rest her head on her forearm. "Bitch." she murmured before shutting off the water and sitting on the floor.