Chapter Fifty

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

Aspen's onyx-painted fingertips tapped melodiously against the steering wheel as her body bobbed slightly due to the jarring road to school. The heat waves from the morning sun penetrating through the windshield was enough for the brunette to blast the air conditioning, her brown eyes slightly watering. With her leather-clad sandaled feet propped up against the dashboard, a devilish, wicked smirk engulfed Charlie's porcelain features as her dainty fingers retrieved a small snack from the concealed inside pocket of her floral dress. The sound of crumpling plastic brought Aspen to momentary glance at her cousin before drawing her brows to wrinkle.

"Where'de you get a twinkie? We don't have those at home." Aspen questioned. Seeing the ever-growing smirk on Charlie rose-tinted lips as her sapphire eyes devour the sugary delight in her hands, she knew she acquired the snack by other means not pertaining to money.

"No, but the gas station did." she proclaimed, referring to the quick stop they had made before heading to school. In one hastily nimble motion, she had ripped the corner of the transparent packaging open and carelessly discarded it to the side. The blasting air from the air conditioning blew the plastic toward Aspen, and the girl violently grasped the garbage and tossed back to Charlie's face. The blonde was absentminded to her cousin's burning glare as she was prepared to devour the pastry in one whole bite. The girl opted to take a nibble to savor each tingle of her buds to the sweet spongy texture. As she prepares to take another bite, her hazy eyes peer to her left.

It was to their account that the road was empty this morning because the way Aspen glared at her cousin incredulously would have resulted in a car accident by now. An astonished expression contorting her features, Charlie was already sinking lower in her seat, idly taking another bite into her twinkie, keeping steady eye contact with her cousin.

Aspen could already tell Charlie Sulzbach was a real wildcard since the day they met; she never knew what she was going to get from her. Charlie would deviously defy all expectations of her--merely for the sake of it. She was an individual who thrived off spontaneity, rebellion, patience-testing, and adventure, and Aspen miserably lapped up every last ounce of her overwhelming personality.

"I'm sorry, I didn't take you to have klepto tendencies. When did that become okay?" Aspen was practically animated the way she used her hand to lecture Charlie, and the blonde was dazzled that they haven't swerved off the road yet.

"See if it were okay, I wouldn't have hid' it." Charlie's strived excuse wasn't gracing her with Aspen's good side, and it crossed her mind that the girl was still learning control. "C'mon Aspen; it's a fluffy, sugary delight. They won't miss it, okay? Besides, I had to put my dress pockets to good use." Charlie happily swayed the frail material of her dress before stuffing one of her hands in her pockets.

"That is not what they are for," Aspen muttered. For her own sake, she dropped the whole issue altogether. As much as the new Alpha crawled under her skin, she knew the full moon would have a more significant impact on her now that she was a developed Elementalist. "would you just lay low? You just got here, and making a poor reputation of yourself will spread quickly. It's a small town, you know?"