Chapter Eighty-Six

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

"Party Guessed (Part 1)"

Aspen put her car in park and sat back in her seat with a sigh. The loud air conditioning roamed through silence that stood stale between her and Matt. He was jittery the whole ride back from the rave. She could understand why. She found him in the crowd when she went to find him. She couldn't find Scott anywhere and he hasn't answered her text. She wasn't going to let her worry settle until she knew he was okay. The Argents showed up and according to Stiles' text, it didn't end well. Isaac didn't want her to leave with Matt, but he didn't want her anywhere near the fight. He personally made sure to see through the promise she made to Scott to stay out of it for the sake of her powers not killing her any faster than they already were. Isaac promised to give her a call when he could.

So here she was staring down at her phone, tapping the screen with her nail. She was worrying her lip, feeling it scab under her teeth.

"So, um," Aspen nearly jumped in her seat, realizing Matt was still in the car. She knew he saw her surprise, but played it off with a polite smile and bemused laugh. "About that incredibly bad idea...I had."

"You mean the almost kiss?" she asked.

"Yeah, that's the one," he said, his tone trying to play it off as an old shared memory. But considering Aspen saw her dead mother then, it didn't seem like they shared the same feeling at that moment. A knot formed in Aspen's stomach at the feeling that Matt wanted to revisit that moment since they were interrupted. Aspen really didn't.

Aspen shook her head. "Don't worry about it," she said lowly, her voice tired.

"For real?" Matt said, finally looking at her with a sliver of surprise. She could tell he had hoped to pick up where they left off. Aspen didn't want to give him false hope of anything happening between them. Quite honestly, she hadn't noticed him until Charlie pointed him out that one day on the lacrosse field. Really she was here with him out of guilt but admitting that aloud would just fill her with shame for the possibility that she's been leading him on.

"Definitely," she said, more confident than she felt.

Matt nodded and let out a fast breath through his nose. "So, what's going on between you and Isaac? Are you guys--you guys together or-or not together or what?"

Aspen looked at him with honest eyes and a quick laugh left her lips. She wanted that more than anything and she could never understand why she and Isaac hadn't genuinely sat down and talked about their feelings instead of walking around them like glass shards. Like they'll get hurt. They let the whole supernatural thing be an excuse for what they really wanted.

"Not really," Aspen answered honestly, letting her fingernails pinch the material of her wheel.

"Not really," Matt laughed shaking his head and smiling. An odd one that Aspen chose to ignore. "I--god I hate not reallys. You never know what to do with not reallys.