Chapter Fourteen

The house was tranquil that day

The house was tranquil that day. It was quiet.

The only movement came from the creaking stairs as Samuel Veata traveling up, gripping the handrail and balancing a cup of green tea that led a trail of hot steam as a morning greeting. Tiptoeing toward Aspen's bedroom door, he gave it a few knocks before letting himself in.

Aspen was sprawled across her bed, lying on her stomach, her blankets draping off the edge along with her arm. Her face was nuzzled into her pillow, her eyes moving around behind her eyelids, which Grandpa Sam only assumed was part of her dream.

Gently setting the tea on her nightstand, he came to notice a piece of decoration missing. Grandpa Sam grunted as he lowered himself onto the bed, causing Aspen to shift in her sleep.

"Aspen," Granpa Sam called out gently, moving a stray hair from his granddaughter's face.

Aspen lazily shooed his hand away with her own before pulling the blanket over her face.

"Did you forget you have school today? I didn't hear your alarm go off, so I think you forgot to set it."

The only response Grandpa Sam received was a loud groan from Aspen as she rolled over on her back, her dazed eyes open and staring at the ceiling.

"Maybe it was intentional," Aspen croaked, her throat still slightly sore from the game Saturday.

"Education is not optional, Juney. I can't let you skip."

"You know I think my bed has been feeling rather neglected recently..." Aspen began stroking her hand upon her soft covers, her eyes starting to flutter shut.

"I will not facilitate your wish to go back to sleep," Grandpa Sam breathed as he hoisted himself from the bed and drew her draped apart, the light assaulting Aspen's eyes.

She groaned loudly as she was forced to sit up and bury her face in her hands. She lazily rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and glanced toward her nightstand, where the steaming cup of tea was waiting for her.

Aspen glared at her grandfather, who only smiled at her, his hands folded behind his back as if daring her to try to make another attempt of staying in bed. Aspen lifted her hands in defeat with a blank expression, and Sam chuckled under his breath before making his way toward the door.

Aspen reached for her tea, the steam trailing up her nose, awakening her senses.

"I noticed your nightstand missing a piece of decoration. Your marbles, perhaps?'

Aspen's eyes perked up before her lips could make contact with the cup. She had hidden them away, afraid of the effect they would have on her if ever the case came upon her that he cracked one of the marbles. She was terrified of what she had seen that night. Her eyes were glass, gold lining her iris like a shield. She didn't recognize herself. She didn't feel like herself.