Prologue

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

The evening was boreal that night as the people of Beacon Hills were calling it a night and turning in for sleep that they've been craving all day. It was late in the evening, and one would think everyone would be asleep at this time, especially on a school night. But one light was still refusing to turn off in the Veata household. The only sound that could be heard in the silence of the night was the creaking of the wooden floorboard in the upstairs bedroom where Aspen Juniper Veata paced in front of her bed.

Her chemistry textbook, along with loose leaf notes, was littered on her bed. Aspen had asked her chemistry teacher for extra credit before the start of the term, and he gave her a choice to write an essay for an automatic A in the class. Being an over an achiever, she couldn't turn down the offer. Aspen had all summer, but she thought it would be convenient to leave it for the last night of the summer.

She only started it after she had her nap and woke up at 7 P.M. Aspen cursed herself for leaving it for so late, but the only thing she could do was get it done before class. That meant staying up till 3 A.M. and stressing about not having enough words in her paper.

Aspen's soft socks helped her spin around every time she made it to one side of the room so that she could pace to the other. She mumbled words she could use to make her paper sound more sophisticated, but she also needed it to be wordy to meet her word count. She had the idea of just copying one online, but she knew Mr. Harris wouldn't belive a sophomore, such as herself, would even use half the words on a plagiarized paper.

She nibbled on her bottom lip and continued to shove her brown hair out of her face. Due to how soft it was, it didn't seem to last very long in a ponytail, a braid, or even a bun for that matter. It was moments like these where she wished she had just shaved it off. Aspen let out an exasperated sigh as he rushed to her vanity and used two hair ties to keep her hair in a tight ponytail, not letting one rebellious strand of hair cover her face.

Aspen hadn't even realized the dark bag under her eyes. She flinches at the sight of her self and quickly looked away before she would sink into a state of insecurity. Aspen had never tried when it came to her looks.

She simply lived with what she had and rolled with it. Sometimes she regretted that decision once she entered high school. Seeing all the girls and their makeup and expensive clothing made her wonder if she had worked a little harder on herself, she would probably be more popular or at least known among her peers. But she wasn't. She simply went to Beacon Hills Highschool, and that's it. No title besides a sophomore.

Aspen collapsed on her bed, not appearing to mind her chemistry textbook stabbing her in the back. She grabbed the pillow nearest to her and settled it over her face to let out a stressed groan that soon changed into whimpers. Not just because of the pain now shooting up her spine due to her piercing textbook but that fact that she still wasn't even close to being done with her essay. More the latter at the moment. Peeking from under her pillow, she narrowed her eyes at her laptop, sitting upon her desk. It took all the control in her body to not chuck it out the window and tell Mr. Harris her bush ate her homework.