Chapter Forty-One

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

After the last bell of the day sounded, Aspen found herself in the company of Allison and Lydia as they took to an escalator in Macy's. While Lydia made comments about every guy in passing and Aspen had to continue telling the girl to lower her voice, Allison was staring off into nothing, expressionless. Her attitude completely opposite from how she was smiling in the hallway a couple of hours ago.

"Something wrong?" Aspen asked, leaning forward slightly to catch Allison's dazed eyes.

Lydia gripped the escalator banister and scoffed, "Something is definitely wrong."

Allison smiled softly and shook her head. "Nothing's wrong, I just...I have a lot on my mind."

"You could smile at least. Ever heard the saying, "Never frown, someone could be falling in love with your smile.'" Lydia sang, smiling to herself.

"By Lydia Martin." Aspen smiled, adding her quote to the list of others she was able to memorize. Lydia winked toward Aspen as a thank you for the recognition before turning her attention back to Allison, who was letting out a breathy laugh through her nose. "Smile Allison. I'm buying you a dress."

"Have to admit," Allison finally spoke again, "as far as apologies go, that's more than I expected."

"Excellent."

"But not as much as I'm going to ask."

They arrived at the next floor and walked forward. Lydia's lips pouted in confusion. "What? What's that supposed to mean?"

Aspen saw Allison fighting off a smile. Before they left the school, Allison pulled Aspen aside to discuss getting Lydia a new date for the formal. When Aspen heard the person she had in mind, it was the best idea she's heard yet.

Aspen placed her hands on Lydia's shoulder and tilted her head to the side to see Lydia's nervous expression. "It means you're going to cancel on whatever dumb roided-up jock you said yes to, and you're going to go with somebody else," Aspen explained.

"Who?" a terrified shadow gloomed on Lydia's face.

"Him." Aspen and Allison glanced toward each other before looking head toward Stiles, who was testing perfumes at a counter. He went to smell one but didn't know how it worked. When he pushed on the top, perfume sprayed in his face, causing him to sneeze uncontrollably before rubbing his irritated nose with his forearm.

"Oh...," Allison cooed mockingly toward Lydia while Aspen kept her hands on her shoulder. "Don't frown Lydia. Someone could be falling in love with your smile." Aspen stifled a laugh and looked down at her shoes as she moved to stand beside Allison. Lydia was glaring across at the two, her shoe slapping against the ground in annoyance.