Chapter Ninety -One

Masterplan Part 1

Masterplan Part 1

_____<•>____

The room was pulsating with a heartbeat. It ravaged Aspen's chest. The awareness of her surroundings was hard to decipher under the influence of the toxins flowing through her veins. It was just the right amount to keep her weak but any more would kill her. A weight sat on her chest and she was afraid to open her eyes. A metal surface was cold against her back where she currently lay.

Her eyes cracked open and the light hanging above blinded her. She tried again this time, enduring it.

She whined when she felt a pain in her arm. Something was inside, pumping the toxin into her. She tilted her head against the examiner's table, her vision going black and coming back again. Her mouth felt dry like she had been out for hours, her head throbbing like someone cut it open, and took a look inside.

Aspen's eyes adjusted. Cement walls. Damp smell. Oddly quiet except for the ripple of toxins in an IV bag. And another was taking blood out of her. Aspen swallowed and inhaled.

"Aspen."

Aspen slowly turned her head to the other side and her eyes widened as much as they could. The effort was painful.

Charlie was sitting on the floor, her back against the wall, chains locking her ankles and hands to the floor and wall.

"Of course, they gave you the bed," Charlie mumbled, cracking a grin under this horrible circumstance.

Aspen let her brain pick up more details, and her heart became heavier at the sight of her cousin. One of her eyes was bloodshot and bruised black. A gash broke her lip, and a bruise colored her neck.

"What did they do to you?" Aspen croaked, blinking slowly. She tried to move and felt restraints latching her to the table.

"Gave me a really rough facial, I guess," Charlie mused, brushing the bruise under her eyes with her dirty fingers. "Might have to ask for my money back."

Aspen's cracked lips were parted and she heard Stiles' voice telling her not to gape. Her brows rose as her body tried to volt up at the realization.

"Where's Stiles?"

A metal door Aspen just noticed creaks open on rusty hinges. Gerard saunters with a shaky smirk on his thin lips. He was clad in black and stood at the threshold with an all too calm demeanor for someone who was in a small room with two Elementalist.

"Ah, welcome back to the living, Miss Veata," Gerard chimed, lifting his chin. "Sorry, I couldn't get you a better bed. This was all very last minute."

Aspen felt her body heat up and all she could do was glare with intense loathing.

"I'm sure you're confused and maybe scared even," Gerard said, carrying on walking into the room. "But I can assure you, I won't bring any harm to you or your friend unless you let it happen."