Chapter Nineteen

A blinding light from the window made opening Aspen's eyes a challenge as she slowly turned her head to the side

A blinding light from the window made opening Aspen's eyes a challenge as she slowly turned her head to the side. A throbbing sting shot up her neck, and her eyes were wide open with a slacked jaw. Once her eyes adjusted to the light, the whiteness of the room indicates that she was in a hospital bed. She took a deep breath before pushing her self up, the aching in her bones only getting worse as she finally settles in a somewhat sitting position.

Feeling the onset of a headache, she groaned, pressing the base of her palm against her forehead. With an irritable huff, she squeezed her eyes shut as the pain slowly decreased.

Aspen couldn't recall what had happened to her. All she could dig out from the back of her head was getting Derek inside the animal clinic. He passes out, almost dying. Then after that, nothing. For all she knew, it was all a dream she had racked up from sleep deprivation.

Melissa McCall knocked a couple of times before cracking the door open to peek inside. Upon seeing Aspen wide awake, sitting up in the bed and staring blankly ahead was enough for her to smile. Aspen hadn't acknowledged her presence until Melissa let out a soft 'hi.'

Aspen's thoughts were interrupted when she turned to Melissa, a warm smile appearing on her lips. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes as Melissa softly shut the door behind her and made her way to Aspen's bedside.

"How you feelin kiddo?" Melissa asked, placing a hand on her cheek, the pad of her thumb running along her cheekbone.

"Groggy. Racked. Amnesiac. Only to name a few," Aspen croaked, her hand quickly grasping her throat from how sore it felt.

"Yea, that's expected considering how long you were out."

Aspen whipped her head toward Melissa but immediately winced from the striking pain shooting up her neck again.

"How long was I out for exactly? What happened?"

"Aspen, sweetie. You're fine. Stiles brought you in. Said something about you feeling dizzy while hanging out, and you fainted and hit your head."

It was at that moment Aspen realized she was hooked up to a ventilator. Clipping the oximeter probe to one of her Aspen's fingers, Melissa started taking notes of everything that was being shone on the monitor in front of her from the pulse reading to other signs that she was on the way to being stable. Melissa's attention on the monitor shifted once she felt Aspen's eyes boring into the side of her head.

"That's not all, is it?" Aspen asked

With a sigh, Melissa placed her clipboard on a nearby table before sitting on the side of the bed, setting a hand on the clothed knee.

"You have a minor concussion." Melissa started.

Aspen nodded, edging her to go on, "Great. I'm concussed. What else?"