Chapter Thirty-Eight

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

Blood was almost immediately rushing to Aspen's brain, and her stomach dropped to the pit of her stomach. It was as if every cohesive thought that should spring to mind vanished with the sight of Peter Hale standing as if the burn on his face did not affect him. Aspen slowing edged away from the man when something cold touched her arm suddenly, her heart skipping a beat. A looming voice sounded in her ear. "A little jumpy, aren't we, sweetheart?" Aspen spun around to see a nurse with red hair rolled back into a bun, which she only assumed was Jennifer. "what are you doing here? Visiting hours are over."

Stiles began to stammer as he pointed at the nurse and Peter, "Y--you...and him." the pieces of the puzzle that the group of teenagers has been trying to put together finally found it's place. But they never expected a picture such as this. "You're the one who--and he's--"

"I just said who he was Stiles," said as she stared at Peter from over Stiles's shoulder. "what's our exit strategy."

Aspen's hoped that there was more to Stiles' plan that Scott assured was brilliant. But seeing Stiles look at her with confusion flooding his eyes, she wished she had just gone home. "Our what?" Stiles asked.

"Oh my god. We're going to die."

Peter took a taunting step forward, and Aspen and Stiles moved away only to be blocked by the nurse. "You know, Aspen, you look a lot like your dad. How's he doing these days?"

Aspen felt a tug on her heart and didn't bother looking to Stiles as he furrowed his brows in confusion. "What's he talking about?"

"Ignore him." Aspen snapped.

Peter tilted his head, hearing Aspen's rapid heartbeat as if it were music to his ears. "Tell me, how coincidental is it that I would gain not one, but two members for my pack in the same night. First Scott and now you...the missing piece I didn't know I needed." the Alpha's voice was sinister, and it made Aspen's stomach twist. "how about we see some improvement hm? Give Stiles a show."

The familiar chill was running down the veins of her wrist, and she clenched her fist. Scott said the Alpha was able to turn him unwillingly. Since it was Peter who activated Aspen's Elementalist side from its dormant state, she was afraid the same thing would apply to her.

Stiles was in the middle of something that he wasn't aware was happening. "June what is he talking about--"

"Nothing," Aspen mumbled, keeping her fist clenched. Just Peter's presence was driving her off the edge, and it was hurting to contain her power. Her whole body was growing cold, and she was desperate just to let go. But not now. Not in front of Stiles.

Peter let out a sharp laugh, "June? Now that's ironic. Your parents really made your name into a riddle for you to figure out on your own, huh? I bet they went above and beyond to make sure you knew your family's origin. Do you even know what's coming."