Chapter Twenty-one

The last bell of the day had Aspen scrambling to collect her things and shove them into her bag

The last bell of the day had Aspen scrambling to collect her things and shove them into her bag. After practically almost breaking her zipper off the bag, she slumped it over her shoulder, and briskly walked down the hall to meet Stiles, who was currently yelling at Scott over the phone.

"Do you have any idea what's going on?" Stiles asked Scott. Aspen falling tow with her frantic friend, she placed a hand on his shoulder, earning a nod of acknowledgment from Stiles. "dude Lydia is MIA, Jackson looked like a walking timebomb, and another random guy is dead. What are you going to do?"

"Lydia seemed fine earlier. I don't understand why she would have just up and left like that." Aspen whispered.

She assumed Scott hung up abruptly when Stiles mumbled angrily, shoving his phone in his pocket. "What happed the other night?" Stiles asked her.

Blinking, Aspen pressed her lips together: "Hmm?"

"You passed out after waking Derek up," Stiles reminded her, gripping his bag's straps. 

"Oh," she mumbled, looking forward, panic slightly flooding her. "I must have breathed too hard. Got dizzy. Passed out."

"Aspen," Stiles grabbed the girl's arm, effectively halting her in the middle of the hall. Students in passing tossed them glares for almost bumping into them.

Stiles' face was a mixier of worry and seriousness, a rarity in itself.

"I talked to Melissa. You almost died. Whatever you did....is there something going on?"

Aspen wanted nothing more than to blurt out what she was, but not even she knew anything yet. Too much stress loomed over the circle of friends to just add yet another burden. And knowing Stiles, he would drop everything to balance Scott's situation and her own.

"It's nothing. I don't know what happened, but I swear everything is okay." Aspen assured, grabbing his hand and rubbing the pad of her thumb over his knuckles.

"You scared the hell out of Scott and me. When you didn't wake up...I don't know. I don't even think Scott knows you're awake. He blames himself for dragging you into all this."

"But I don't blame him. Nor do I blame you," Stiles turned his head, clicking his tongue before Aspen grabbed him by the chin, forcing him to look at her, "Hey. It's not your fault. I passed out. I don't know what happened, but it won't happen again."

"You promise you're nod hiding anything?"

Aspen couldn't do that. It already pained her to lie to her best friends. She nodded with a smile, continuing down the hallway to avoid Stiles read her lying eyes.

"Alright, then. Well, I'll just to bring you up to date, Jackson was attacked by something-"

"I know Lyda told me. She didn't know what it was, but I know we already have a good idea of who it could be."