Chapter Forty-Seven

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

It was now a morning routine before school to rise with the Monday sun. Aspen squinted her eyes slightly as she tried focusing her mind on each spiral of color decorating the sky. The breeze was perfect today, sending a sensation down her shirt as she let her left foot stand in the green grass of her backyard. Her right foot was pressed agast the inside of her other knee, her hand intertwined in front of her as she leveled her breathing. Grandpa Sam was whipping up a smoothie in the kitchen with the windows open to observe the instructions he gave to his granddaughter. In order for Aspen to learn control, she needs to find peace and contain it throughout her day. He advised that she steer clear of any fights or trouble in school to keep her power and mind at bay.

Poking his head out from the window, he noticed Aspen having trouble with balance. "Hey! Clear your head; it will help you relax," he instructed, pointing a strawberry in her direction before chopping it up to prepare it for the blender.

"That's a lot to ask when my best friend is naked in the woods," Aspen told him, dropping her other foot to the ground, earning a disappointed look from Sam. "did you know the temperature is going to drop below sixty tonight? Lydia can barely handle the air condition in the school, she always takes my jacket. And Allison's dad is seriously hunting her because he thinks she's a werewolf."

Grandpa Sam disappeared for a moment to come into view behind the screen door. He moved down the porch steps with two smoothie cup in either hand to give to Aspen. "Well, is she a werewolf? She was bitten by an Alpha." he countered.

Aspen huffed as she took the cold cup in her hand and twirled the icy pink liquid to see pieces of strawberry float. "No, she not--I don't know. When the boys checked on her in the hospital, they said her bite hasn't healed. And according to Derek, the bite gives you the gift, or it kills you. And Lydia is quite clearly not dead but stubborn as hell to just waltz out of her bathroom naked."

"Well, have you considered the possibility that she could be another supernatural creature?" Aspen narrowed her eyes as she watched her grandfather sip his smoothie.

"Lydia Martin? A supernatural," Aspen laughed sharply, tipping the smoothie into her mouth to let the cold beverage refresh her taste buds with overflowing flavor. "I don't even think that's logical."

"Well, you mentioned she was stubborn. Nephliam's are stubborn creatures, and they are known for their beauty." he pointed out.

Aspen stared at her grandfather for a moment with her mouth slightly open. "I would know if she sprouted wings every now and then."

"Well, don't cancel out the possibility just yet. You're now in the life of supernatural, so you must keep an open mind to such possibilities." Grandpa Sam went to walk away when he suddenly paused and looked back to Aspen, "wasn't she bit by an Alpha?" he asked again. But of course, he didn't know that. Aspen didn't want to embarrass him, so she only nodded in response and covered her frown with the rim of her cup as she took another sip from her smoothie.