Chapter Thirty-Five

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

Like the first time Isaac snuck through Aspen's window, he crept out without disturbing her sleep. She sometimes wished he would stay for the rest of the night, but his father would surely see his vacant bed and question his whereabouts.

Just as Aspen thought she would get in some decent sleep, her phone blared through the silence of her room, and sure enough, it was Scott McCall summoning her to sneak out her window. Apparently, Stiles had once again listened in on his father's radio, and they had a lead on Derek Hale and were currently chasing him. To the boy's ill planning, it was not the iconic jeep she climbed in that night but Derek's car.

In the dark of night, as police sirens blared in the air, Scott's foot was slammed on the pedal, the car speeding onto a dark road behind a warehouse. It had been a while since Aspen threw herself into the werewolf business, but she never imagined herself being thrown around the back seat of Derek's car.

The car was already making strange noises, and Aspen was gripping her head to keep from passing out. A sudden flash of high beam lights shined through the back seat. Aspen looked back and saw a clear outline of a sleeker-looking car racing behind them in the dead of night.

"Uh guys incoming," Aspen warned, her hand blinding waving until she hit the back of the driver's seat to get Scott's attention.

"Faster?" Scott suggested, looking back with panic flooding his eyes, recognizing car to be Kate Argents. If it weren't for Derek's tinted windows, she would have had a clear view of who she was chasing. Scott's idea was that they drive the werewolf's car to lead them away from Derek as he ran from the police.

Stiles looked to him and nodded hastily. "Much faster."

With a vein already popping from his forehead, Scott shifted gears and took a screeching turn down an alley, causing Aspen to grip the seats in front of her. She had only woken up an hour ago, and she was already being tossed about like a rag doll.

They continued down the road but noticed Scott's speed lagging. Aspen lurched herself forward to look at his speed, barely passing seventy. "Hey Scott, I don't think you're really grasping the concept of a car chase here," her heart was already ramming against her head, afraid police would notice three teenagers driving someone else's car.

"If I go faster, I'll kill us," Scott argued, his knuckles turning white from his tight grip.

"Well, if you don't go faster, they're gonna kill us!" Stiles shot back, stealing a glance toward Aspen, who was nodding in agreement, her eyes still wide. With a frustrated groan, Scott shifted gears again and slammed on the gas, Aspen, and Stiles jerking back into their seats as the roaring engine cam to life with speed.