Chapter Forty-Eight

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

"Are you sure it was a liver?" Aspen questioned with the same disgusted face as she tossed a potato chip in her mouth. The vending machine on her way to the courtyard was all too tempting. And she had to put the stolen dollar from Scott to good use eventually.

"Yeah, Sheriff Stilinski said their canine unit led them there. Which is bizarre from what I saw because that couldn't have been Lydia." Isaac explained as he leaned back next to Aspen's leg, which was propped on the seat as she was seated on the tabletop.

"What did you see?" Aspen tried avoiding the black eye that didn't appear to be getting better and offered the boys some of her chips.

Isaac shivered at the memory. "It was like these long, scaly nails. They were black and--and pointed."

"The Argents think it's Lydia but...come on it's Lydia? And scaly nails? It has to be something else."

"Like another supernatural creature?" Isaac tilted his head up to look Aspen, the morning sun causing his eyes to squint a little bit.

Aspen only lifted her arms in a shrug with an unsure shake of her head. "I don't know. But her bite didn't heal, and she's not dead. But she will be if she's out there another night."

"It's like you said, it's Lydia. She's too stubborn to die." Isaac chuckled.

Aspen laughed into the back of her hand as she was still chewing on a chip. "I miss her. First, she's attacked, and now she's missing. She hasn't caught a break."

Aspen knew her chemistry class had already begun, but her grade was stable enough to miss one class. On the other hand, Isaac wasn't doing too well weighing on a D. She's always made sure he brought his notes to her house when he would visit to catch up on studying, but lately, his head has been somewhere else. His emotions were scrambled in his mind, they were apart of him, but he didn't know how to release them, especially to Aspen.

"You're lucky whatever it was didn't attack you. Are you sure it wasn't just some crazy grave robbery?" Aspen asked after a momentary silence.

Isaac shook his head rather frantically. Aspen saw the mild panic in his eyes and began to question if there was anything else he was hiding."We have a few. Usually, just take stuff like jewelry. But a liver? No one has a use for something like that, especially when it's not worth selling."

"Well, were you hurt?" Aspen asked quickly. She has been reading his odd body language throughout the whole discussion. His eye contact was limited, his leg hasn't stopped shaking, and he almost looked paranoid.

Isaac almost seemed taken back. "No, I wasn't hurt," he said bitterly, the tone not familiar. She sensed her inquisition might have been out of the blue, and guilt tugged on her words.