Chapter Twenty-Four

The incessant ringing of Aspen's phone had her grumbling against her pillow

She had been sleeping peacefully, and though it was quite early when Isaac came into her room, she was ready to unleash her wrath on whoever decided to call her this late in the night. Rolling on her back, Aspen stared blankly up at the dark ceiling, a hair floating on her face, which she blew away with an irritable huff.

She let her hand fall to the side, feeling the warmth of the bed from where Isaac once laid. In his attempts to leave without disturbance, Aspen had heard everything, from his cautious movements to the window opening and closing. Despite the many things that decorated Aspen's room, it suddenly felt empty without him.

The ringing made Aspen jump and glare at her phone from the corner of her eyes. Sitting up, she answered the call and held it against her ear.

"Scott you do realize it's two o'clock in the morning and I have to work early tomorrow--"

Scott's panicked voice was quick to cut her off. "Aspen! Where are you? Are you okay? Are you home?"

Aspen's eyes swiftly lost their sleep at the sound of her friend's tone. "Y-yea, I'm fine. I was just sleeping. What's going on?"

"Just come to the school. I'll explain everything."

"The school? Why are you at the school so late?"

"Something happened, but it's too much to explain over the phone."

"Can't you just tell me--"

"Aspen now!"

Scott's voice wasn't just panicked, it was afraid. She had heard sirens over the line so she could only assume they were safe. Jumping out of her bed, Aspen grabbed the nearest jacket and tumbled down the stairs, almost tripping over the last step. She mounted her bike, the smell of previous rain filling her senses. Though her body was weak, she peddled as fast as her legs could push.

Her thoughts distracted by the boy's safety and reason for being at the school, Aspen hadn't noticed the large creature running alongside her on the edge of the woods. She could suddenly hear the pounding of heavy feet, making her glance to the side, the figure of darkness startling her into going faster. But the beast-like creature didn't see her attempt in advancing as a challenge.

Biking past a light post, Aspen turned once again but saw nothing. She would soon regret her decision when the real danger was right in front of her. Aspen looked ahead before a scream left her lips as she saw a large wolflike creature standing on all fours in the middle of the street where her bike was speeding toward. She pressed down on the peddle, the tires screeching as the bike wobbled uncontrollably, sending Aspen to slide to the ground.