Chapter Fifty-Nine

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

The orange sun sparkles down rays of light like fall crystal onto the beating ocean of California. Almost too celestial. The gulls of the seagull are heard outside the open window of a 1962 Orange Voltswagon Fusca. Long strands of silky brown hair flew out the side of the window as Aspen's soft brown eye peered out onto the water. The familiar smell of salt and cigarettes filled her senses, and a wave of nostalgia brought her to realize this wasn't real. Or was it a memory?

The cars shook as it took a tight turn on the road that was on the edge of the mountain. The accelerator would jerk randomly, making young Aspen jerk forward, with a grunt leaving her lips. She looked ahead at the narrow road, and a wave of dark blonde hair caught onto her line of vision.

Julia Veata.

Her mother.

Aspen went to open her mouth to question how she could possibly be alive, but she didn't even recognize her own voice as she spoke the words,

"Mommy..."

Aspen's voice was high pitched and feeble, like a little girl.

It was all wrong. Aspen knew for a fact that her mother died when she was a baby. How could this possibly be a memory? Was it her brain's episodic memories concocting a trick as a failed attempt of comfort?

Julia sucked in another hit from her cigarette before releasing it with a shaky breath like she was forcing herself not to cry.

"Aspen," Julai spoke sweetly. Aspen's eyes glassed over with unshed tears, hearing her mother's voice fall from her plump lips like warm honey. She's never heard such a delicate sound leave from such an angelic being. Aspen's never heard the sound of her own mother's voice, and that broke her. But to her dismay, as Julia continued to speak, occasionally glancing back at Aspen, all the words she was saying drifted off into the open window like white noise. Aspen shook her head profusely and furrowed her brows in confusion, not understanding why she couldn't hear what she was saying.

Julia suddenly looked ahead, and the expression Aspen never wished to see on her mother's face appeared. Horror. Pure terror and grief to what she saw ahead of her. Aspen noticed her stature to be smaller, and she couldn't see what her mother was witnessing.

All noise suddenly ceased in that second, and all Aspen could hear was th dead silence of space. Julia slowly turned around, the car proceeding to speed forward. Her soft eyes that matched Aspen's so perfectly met her daughter, and a smile that resembled the sun settled on her lips. The words her mother spoke to her in a still, calm voice made her eyes widen.