The Jersey Devil

Female Reader x Male Monster
Features dark themes

The car stalled and now you're walking up and down the side of the road trying to get a signal on your phone. Your boyfriend is smoking in the car as you freeze in the cold. The air feels heavy with the dark, and your breath puffs out in thick white clouds. He was sitting on your sweater, but when you asked him for it, he wouldn't move.

You go back to the car and sit inside, trying to warm up again and he pops your arm. You turn and look at him, ash falling from the tip of the cigarette and outside the window.

"Well?" He snarls.

You shake your head, remaining quiet.

He cusses loudly and tosses slams his hands into the dashboard and you bite back a startled scream. He grumbles and mutters under his breath as he lights another cigarette.

"Can't do shit," he huffs.

"We can keep trying and someone is bound to drive by," you try to inject some optimism.

He looks at your and scowls, "I meant you."

Your heart drops but you tell yourself he's only stressed, he doesn't mean it at all. "I'll keep trying to find a signal. Please try and see if you can fix anything at all."

He grabs your wrist and you struggle for a moment, he's gripping too hard and you feel like your wrist might snap. "Don't fucking tell me what to do." He shoves you from the car and you feel your phone fly from your hand and into the woods.

You can't see, but you pick up his lighter that fell out with you. It takes you a moment, your hand still in pain from his hard grip earlier. He really doesn't know his strength.

The light gives off barely enough light for you to see, you step into the woods trying to find your phone, skimming over the damp ground trying to find it. You hear something move in front of you, looking up you don't see anything but you hear it again. It sounds like something moving, something breathing.

You run back to the car and jump inside. "Somethings out there!"

He scoffs at you, "it's the woods, there's always something out there."

You know you sensed something out there more than that. "No, I mean like-"

"Where the hell is your phone?" He snaps.

"I-I dropped it, I was looking for it that's when-" he shoves you against the car door hard enough to knock the air from your lungs. You try to gasp for air and begin to panic as he reaches for you and grabs you by the back of your neck.

"Then why aren't you looking for it?" He hisses at you. "You're lucky you have someone like me to make sure you don't lose our own fucking head." He gets out of the car and cusses at the cold. You grab your sweater from his seat and fall out of the car again as he comes around. He grabs you up roughly and pushes you towards the woods again.

"Just find the fucking thing," he says as he turns the light on his cell phone on.

"Why...why not just use yours now?" You ask.

He smacks the back of your head. "Because I can't waste the battery, duh," he kicks dirt towards you as you kneel down to look in the light of his cell phone. You search the ground and then turn to him, "can you shine here?" You ask, you then see his face. It's blank and his eyes are staring wide. "Hey..." you followed his line of sight and see in the glow of the cell phone something is standing there.

He suddenly screams and runs away, whatever had been standing before you chases after him. You sit there, stunned and silent as you hear your boyfriend scream and cry, begging before his shouting turns to blood-curdling, nightmares wails of agony covered by the sound of rippling flesh and popping bones.