Cerin the Hellhound

Female Reader x Male Monster

Recently, you've moved to a new town. It's small and quiet, the biggest building there happens to be the assisted living center for seniors. You like it well enough, homes there were cheap so you were able to get a small house near the woods. You're still unpacking and there are boxes everywhere, you don't know how you had so much stuff until you moved.

Your service dog, Mimi, has been adjusting well. She likes having nature so nearby, but you can still tell she's on alert for you. The first couple of nights when you first moved in were hard. Mimi had to wake you up several times. Then again, the stress of moving would get to anybody, so you tried hard not to worry about it.

Your neighbor, you noticed, has a big black dog, sometimes you see him stalking about the assisted living center, sniffing around. You wonder how she can just let her dog run loose like that. Then you found out she worked there so you figured he just followed her everywhere. Her husband is a strange guy too but you barely see him. You caught him one night in his backyard as he was taking out the garbage and he jumped when he saw you.

One day, you see a big black dog in your backyard. You think it's your neighbors, but this one is slightly different. Your neighbor's dog is pointy and sharp looking, this one is a little furrier. It has a fluffy chest and it's ears flop at the tip. Its big black eyes gaze at you for the longest time and Mini whines softly, nudging your palm and sitting down beside you.

Your neighbor comes outside, or well, her strange husband. He sees the dog too and you hear him grumble something under his breath.

"Did you get a new dog?" You ask.

"No," he turns and looks at you and for a moment you think his eyes are red. "Never seen that dog before in my life."

The black dog whines and he takes a few steps forward.

Your neighbor goes to him and huffs. "I'll take care of this. You go back inside." He guides the new dog into his house without another word.

"He's good with animals," you murmur to yourself as you go back inside.

The next morning, you wake up and find the new black dog on your porch. He has a collar, so you figure your neighbors have taken him in to go with their other dog. You see a name tag and the name Cerin carved on it. He sits up and wags his tail excitedly when he sees you staring through the window.

Your neighbor's other dog never comes into your yard, let alone falls asleep on your porch. Cerin though makes himself at home. He becomes like a stone gargoyle on your porch, a sort of guarding and ever-present figure. He doesn't bother Mimi, in fact, Mimi doesn't really pay him much attention other than a sniff here and there.

One night as you're taking out your garbage, both Mimi and Cerin are at your side. Cerin turns and you look up, seeing your neighbor as he does the same.

"Is that asshole bothering you?" He asks, motioning to Cerin.

Cerin whines and you glance down at him. "No, he's been fine." You reach down and rub the top of his head and behind his ears like he likes. "Cerin has been a perfect gentleman."

Your neighbor huffs. "Don't let him fool you. The moment he acts up, you tell me."

Cerin huffs and snorts, stomping his front feet.

"See what I mean?" Your neighbor walks back inside.

You rub the top of Cerin's head again. "You're a good boy. Don't worry."

One night, you have a strange dream. Not the usual ones you have where you're cowering and there is screaming. You're standing on your back porch and looking towards the woods. You hear rustling and moving, the trees part and a man steps out of the shadows. You gasp but you don't feel fear.