Damocles the Hellhound

Female Reader x Male Monster

Recently you've been noticing a dog wandering around the nursing home where you work. When you come in for the day you see this massive black dog walking around the building as if patrolling the land. Then, at night, when you leave, you see it laying down under one of the windows of the place.

You've asked a few of your coworkers about the dog but all of them don't seem to know what you're talking about. You assume, perhaps, the dog used to belong to one the residence and has followed them here. So one day you approach the dog with a treat and try to lure it over to see if it has tags.

As you call it to you, calling him pretty and sweet, he stares at you. HIs big dark eyes wide as you try to coax it over. It looks around and back at you before walking away from you slowly. You feel snubbed as if the dog was purposefully ignoring you.

You keep trying to get close to the dog, every day before you come in you offer it a treat and call to it, every day it looks at you like your dirt and prisses off around to the other side of the building. You scoff and give up for the day, going to work and trying to forget about the dog outside.

One night as you leave late, tired and your feet aching, you come out of the building and see the dog sitting in the walkway. It looks right at you and stands, walking towards you. You're a bit stunned at first, but you greet it, taking the treat from that morning out of your pocket and offering it to the dog. It takes it and eats. While it munches you pet it, noticing how pretty the dog is. All pitch black and nearly as big as a pony. His features sharp and pointed, coat silky smooth. You check him for a collar and tags, but you find none.

You try and get the dog to follow you, hoping to take it home and make flyers about the dog to hang about. It follows you reluctantly as you keep your hand on its neck as you walk home. It lets itself into your house and instantly jumps up on your sofa. It's only temporary so you allow it for now as you go about your business.

You set down water for it and some dog food you got in case you were able to lead it home. You make your dinner and sit down, checking your emails and going over bills. The dog comes up beside you, setting its large head in your lap. You pet him and rub his ears as he grunts.

That night it climbs in bed with you, taking up more than it's needed room, but once again you allow it because hopefully, it would only be temporary. You drift to sleep and have a strange dream. You're at work, following a dark figure down the hallways. It goes into the rooms of patients, but when it leaves the room vanishes. You grab it to make it stop and when the figure turns to look your way you hear barking.

Waking up you groan and hit your alarm going off. As you rub your eyes you see the dog is gone. You call for it, looking over every inch of your house, but the dog is gone. You leave earlier than normal, searching around for him as you go. Then, as you get to work, there he is, circling the building like he had never come home with you. When it sees you approach it stops it's patrol and goes to you.

You pet him and wonder out loud how he got out. You then attach a collar around his neck and scold him not to run away again as you head into work. That day you're called in as a patient is dying. You stay by their side as the doctor does what they can, holding their hand and talking to them as they slip away.

"Do you see the pretty doggy?" The patient asks their first coherent words all day.

"Doggy?" You whisper to them and you follow their gaze, seeing the black dog sitting tall in the doorway. Your eyes widen and you look to the doctor and the nurses. They don't see it, only you the patient do.

You look back to the dog and he has changed, standing on his two legs, his shape more human now, but his head still maintained the sharp pointed features. He held his hand out and the patient reaches out, something soft and wispy coming from the tips of their fingers and resting in the dog's palm. Their hand falls and the dog bows his head, walking away from the door.