The Carnival: Scarebrook

Female Reader x Male Monster

I was first brought to Mr. Faire ages ago when Robin found me stashed away and hidden in a basement. Mr. Faire took me in as one of his own, and although I was the first Doll to come into the carnival, I was accepted readily.

The first act I was in was called the 'Living Music Box'. Mr. Faire had a unique prop made that looked like a giant music box and, as music played, I rose up from within, dancing and twirling. As years went on, the act changed some. New Dolls came to the Carnival and I took them all under my wing.

In a day that will live in infamy for me, Mr. Faire brought in a new part to the Carnival. I remember clearly how all of us were gathered into the mess tent to hear his supposedly good news.

"We are joining forces!" Mr. Faire announced proudly. "I have come across an old friend in desperate need of help. So we are combining our shows into one happy family."

Now, by this point, I was used to Mr. Faire's eccentricities and quirks, but he usually just brought in new family. This was the first time he was combining two acts together.

"Everyone, meet my dear friend, Ambrosius Tricksenstein!" Mr. Faire stepped aside as a man joined him.

He was horribly tall and gangly, dressed from head to toe in black velvet. His long white hair spilled out over his shoulders and long bangs covered his face. The only part of his body that actually showed was just his mouth. His skin looked gray and there were hints of scars on him, but it was hard to tell.

"Please, call me Bram." He swooped off his hat and bowed low before us. He then stood erect and placed his hat back upon his head. "I am so glad to be here. Mr. Faire has been kind enough to save my little troupe and I. We all look very forward to joining your happy family."

"What is it exactly that you do?" Muna scoffed from the back of the room. "What is your little troupe exactly?"

"Oh, it is quite amazing!" Mr. Faire interrupted as Bram smiled to himself. "It is a traveling horror show."

I frowned and glanced at the faces across the room. Everyone had a confused look upon their face.

"What is that exactly?" I asked, raising my hand.

Bram's dangerously long arm extended out and he pointed to me. "The lovely little creature here asked a perfect question." His smile set me on edge. "You'd make a perfect addition to it. Perhaps as a bride?"

Mr. Faire chuckled. "Now, now," he said. "Coraline, the horror show is like any haunted house show, only much more!"

"Or it will be more soon," Bram replied with a sigh. "I'm afraid the old grand dame just ain't what she used to be. The road was too hard on some of my members and I'm afraid we just don't make enough otherwise. Some people don't want Halloween all year round and, of course, we suffer by it."

Mr. Faire clapped Bram's back. "Not to worry, dear friend. Here it will be."

It had been the first time I was concerned for Mr. Faire and his judgement. I wasn't sure how a haunted house was going to make it in our carnival. Not everyone wanted to be scared. Not only that, but Bram gave me the serious heebie-jeebies.

After that and the beginnings of the Neighborhood of Nightmares was added to the Carnival, I went along with Mr. Faire's plans. It was a hard feat, considering that every corner I went around, Bram seemed to be there.

"Lovely to see you, beautiful Coraline. I was wondering if you would take up my offer yet again of joining the Neighborhood?" He asked me this at least once a week. "A charmer like you would make a lovely addition."