Farrow & Barbol: Part Three

Female Reader x Male Monsters

There was a time as a child when during the night, you woke to see a strange shape standing over of you. You felt fear course through you and you wanted to cry out for your friends. Then a gentle hand touched the top of your head, running through your hair.

"Don't be afraid," Farrow's voice growls low. You then see his eyes flick open and turn towards you. "It's only me. Go back to sleep. There's nothing to worry about."

"Where's Barbol?" You whimper and cling to his hand as he tries to pull away.

"Don't worry," he whispers. "We just want to protect you." He kisses the top of your head and tucks you back into bed. He stays by your side until you fall back asleep.

When you wake up in the morning, Farrow is back under the bed but he seems quiet. You go to your wardrobe, wanting to see Barbol but he won't let you inside.

"He's tired," Farrow explains. "Why don't you go get him those cookies he likes. It'll help him feel better."

Worried but eager to be of some help you scamper to the kitchen, stealing cookies off the counter. You're caught by your parents though and scolded. You then have to stay in the kitchen while your parents cook breakfast. All the while you're worried about Barbol and Farrow.

The evening you're finally able to get the snacks to Barbol, you even saved your dessert from dinner to give him. You set them outside the wardrobe. Neither one of them has really talked to you since the previous night. They have both been quiet and somewhat strange.

"Did I do something wrong?" You ask.

The wardrobe opens and Barbol's hand slips out. He touches your cheek and pets the top of your head. "You did nothing at all. Don't blame yourself. We had a busy night, that's all." He takes the treats and you try to follow him inside.

"Don't," he holds you at arm's length.

"He's hurt," Farrow says. "He doesn't want you to see."

The tears come fast. "My Barbol is hurt?" You ask. "Why? What happened?"

Farrow sighs and reaches out from under the bed to hold your hands. "We told you before we were going to protect you and keep you safe." He rubs your cheek and wipes away the tears. "There are worse things that go bump in the night than us. Things that want to hurt you as well as us."

"Why would they want to hurt you?"

Farrow chuckles. "They aren't a problem anymore. We did our job. You don't have to worry anymore. Barbol is fine, just a little tired. Same for me."

"Are you sure there's nothing I can do?" You ask.

"The fact you can shed a tear for us right now is more than we deserve," Barbol growls from the wardrobe. "I'd rather see you smile though."

And you do. You smile for them. Over the next few days, you tended to them, bringing them food and books they asked for. Barbol eventually came out of the wardrobe and there was a long, strange mark down his back. For a while, it still hurt him, but he never let it on. It was also the only time you could recall seeing Farrow come out from under the bed. So, you believed as long as he remained there, everything was safe and fine.

Now grown and keeping Barbol and Farrow in your own home, you keep that hope that Farrow never has to leave under the bed again.

You come home late one evening, exhausted and pretty much beaten down. You kick off your shoes at the door and set the food you picked up on the way home aside. You don't even really want the food, that's how shitty you feel. All you really want is to be comforted by the monsters in your room. You want Barbol's kisses and Farrow's hugs, then you'll be able to salvage the day.