14

"are you insane?"

"it's just one date."

"please, rebound with anyone else. not-" ginny paused and winced, "cormac."

briar ignored her and held up two different shirts, "which one?"

"are you actually excited about this?"

"well..." briar shrugged, turning back to the mirror.

"how can you be excited to go on a date with cormac?" ginny raised her voice.

briar sighed loudly and turned back to face her, "this is my first date in a while, gin. so i'm sorry that i'm just a little excited to get to dress up and see what happens tonight. even if it turns out badly. if anything, i'll have a good story to tell."

ginny didn't answer, she just slumped back into the chair at briar's vanity, toying with her makeup.

"just, be safe. ok?" ginny said.

"i will, i can handle myself." briar replied, sending her a reassuring smile.

~

when briar got out to the courtyard, it was fairly dark out because winter was coming quickly. but that didn't seem to stop cormac from planning his date.

"merlin, did you do all of this?" she asked.

on the ground was a picnic laid out with candles surrounding it for light.

as she sat down on the blanket, cormac started taking the food out of a basket off to the side.

"this is beautiful." she smiled at him, thinking maybe he isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

"yeah, i got those little workers in the kitchen to whip this up." he said.

"they can get quite annoying." he went on.

"i think they're cute." briar said in a small voice.

cormac turned to her and looked at her like he thought she was joking, but her expression didn't change.

"um right-" he coughed loudly, "well, let's get started. shall we?"

after some small talk of getting to know each other and a couple questionable comments from cormac, it was almost curfew.

"well, this has been fun-"

"have you tried the lemonade?" he cut her off, leaning closer to her, "i threw in a little whiskey."

"um- no, i havent." she poured a little in a cup and took a small sip before instantly regretting it.

"oh my god! that's terrible!" she said, taking large gulps of juice to get the taste out of her mouth.

"don't worry, i can help with the taste." cormac said.

he carefully leaned in with his eyes half shut and lips slightly pouted. once briar realized what he was trying to do, she pushed him away from her.

"what was that for?!" he said, getting progressively annoyed.

"when did i ever insinuate that i wanted to kiss?!"

"oh- come on, i see how you act, always looking at me." he smirked, moving back to her.

"woah- woah- woah, what are you talking about?!" her eyes widened as she drew away from him, trying not to upset any of the candles.

he rolled his eyes, putting his hand on her leg. "you know you want to."

as he leaned in to try again with the kiss, briar stood up, making him fall forward.

"i knew this was a mistake!" she said.

"you are such a bitch!" he yelled, standing up as well.

"yeah? well you were a waste of my time." she picked up a piece of bread and threw it at him before stomping off.

he was screaming something that just sounding like gibberish as briar ran away as soon as she was out of sight.

as she was running, she looked back to make sure he wasn't following her. at that same moment, ron rounded the corner, doing his prefect rounds, making her bump into him.

"oh- im so sorr- briar?" he said as she stood up.

she just looked at him and shook her head saying to herself before pushing past him, "and this night just couldn't get any better."

another prefect who saw briar down the hall, ran up to ron, "why didn't you stop her?" he scolded.

but ron didn't answer, he just rolled his eyes and kept making his rounds.

~

"oh gin, i should have listened to you. it was horrible." briar explained at breakfast the next morning.

"i don't wanna say i told you so..." ginny said as she filled her plate.

"yeah, yeah, whatever. you were right." briar replied back in a small voice.

"oh!" ginny said loudly, making briar jump. "i almost forgot, how would you like to come home with me for the holiday?"

briar bit her lip nervously, "i don't know..."

"please? it'll be fun!" she reassured.

briar sat for a second weighing the pros and cons of this situation,

pros:
-christmas at the burrow is always fun
-get to see the twins again
-won't have to go home and potentially have a boring new year alone
-get to hangout with everyone outside of school

cons:
-ron will be there

"i'll think about it." briar said as she looked down the table to ron and lavender.

ginny moved herself so that she was right in briar's eye line, blocking the couple conveniently, "don't worry about him, harry can keep him away."

briar sighed and ran a hand through her hair, "maybe."

"well, it better be a yes cause i already told mum to start making your sweater." ginny shrugged, shoving eggs into her mouth.

"what?! ginny?! why would you do that?"

"because, now you have to come." ginny smiled and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "i've gotta go, we have quidditch practice. there's gonna be a big game before the break."

briar ignored her and stabbed her fork at the potatoes on her plate as ginny stood up, chugging her juice.

as she watched as ginny left, she saw ron get up to leave too, but not before lavender pulled him back down to kiss him on the cheek goodbye.

"ew." briar said under her breath.

fun fact- i don't like eggs