16

"well, if you didn't sleep in- we would all be at the burrow by now." ron seethed as he sat on her bed.

"you're one to talk! you sleep in all the time!" briar shouted back at him.

she stopped for a second then looked back at him, "why are you even in my room right now? just leave and come back when the portkey is here."

"fine." he rolled his eyes, slamming the door behind him.

briar stared at the door for a moment, slightly wishing he would come back through it and say he was going to stay no matter what she said.

but he didn't.

she didn't know but he was on the other side of the door, in the hall, hoping she would open it up and be relieved he was still there, waiting for her.

but she didn't.

instead, they turned away and went their separate ways.

~

about an hour or so later, the portkey had arrived.

ron knocked on her door and stepped back anxiously.

briar cracked the door and stared at him with her eyebrows raised, waiting for him to say why he was there.

"the portkey is here." he said, looking off to the side.

"oh, right. thanks." briar nodded and opened the door more, gathering all her stuff together to take to dumbledore's office.

she carried her trunk, and a cage which toulouse was in, yelling to get out.

"we'll be there soon." she said in a soft voice, hushing her cat.

ron was still standing in the hall, biting the inside of his cheek. he didn't know why he didn't just leave after he told her they could go, but he found himself looking at her.

and not just looking at her, he was looking at her.

he realized that this was the first time since their fall out that he has looked at her in the face.

for the past few months, he had been dancing around looking at her fully. but, once his eyes fell on her, he didn't want to look away.

briar looked up at him, pulling him out of his trance, giving him an expression of confusion.

he quickly breathed in and nodded, "we should get going."

"no, really?" she replied sarcastically.

he pressed his lips together to try and force his smile from growing, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck, not knowing how to respond.

"okay..." she trailed off, walking past him so he couldn't see the embarrassment on her face.

~

"oh my darlings!" molly beamed, running up to hug briar and ron.

"we almost thought you didn't get the second portkey." arthur said jokingly, to his son.

"yeah, i think we would have preferred  something other then a stinky old shoe, though." briar laughed.

"we're offended you didn't appreciate it, we chose it ourselves to send." fred walked alongside his twin, pulling briar in for a hug.

"are you hungry? you look famished." molly said, putting her hands on ron's shoulders, studying their faces.

"yes." her and ron said in unison, looking at each other awkwardly, not wanting to acknowledge it.

"great! i've got plenty of things for lunch, please help yourselves." molly gestured to the kitchen, the bright smile having not faded from her face.

"thanks, mum." ron said, dropping his things, already walking towards the kitchen.

"i'll be back down in a second, i just wanna put my things down first." briar said.

"that's fine dear, you and ginny are staying together because the whole family is home for the holidays." molly said excitedly. you could see just how happy she was that all of her children were in the same place after such a long time.

"bill and charlie are here?!" ron perked up with his mouth full of food. molly nodded enthusiastically.

"even percy?" ron asked.

molly's smiled dropped slightly, and shook her head as she looked down at her hands, "almost everyone is here."

a silence fell over them, visibly upset he wasn't there.

even though most of his siblings hated him, he was still their brother.

"well," briar said, breaking the silence, "i can't wait to meet everyone."

molly looked back at her and smiled sweetly, almost like it comforted her to not hear 'im sorry' again.

once briar got to ginny's room, she was already questioning what happened while she was gone.

"nothing happened, gin!" briar laughed as she set her things down.

"i don't believe that." ginny shook her head, petting toulouse softly.

"well, you're gonna have to. cause nothing happened." briar sighed under her breath.

"did you want anything to happen?" ginny asked.

briar chuckled slightly and turned back to her, "of course not. he has a girlfriend."

ginny scoffed and looked briar dead in the eye. "we both know he'd rather be with you."

briar looked around nervously, trying to think of what to say.

"i don't know anything." she paused then spoke again, "i'm hungry, are you hungry?"

ginny rolled her eyes as she walked towards the door, "i think mum made some mince pies."

"perfect." briar forced a smile before walking out of the room.