House of Spies

Layla's POV

"Not so fast," Rufus hissed at me as he climbed out of the passageway. He yelped and removed his hand though as he got stung by my arm band like Brandon used to. Next thing I knew he was running out of the house.

"Why aren't you in bed?" I heard Victor shout.

"We wondered what the noise was," Alfie said.

"There was an intruder. But he's gone now. You're all quite safe. So go to bed," Victor replied.

"You're letting him get away?" Fabian said shocked and worried since the plan had been for Rufus to get caught.

"Go to bed. All of you!" Victor shouted.

"I hope this is worth it," Jerome said as he handed Nina the puzzle piece. I sent him a small smile and was pleasantly surprised to see him return it considering what he had said the other day about us not being friends.

"It is. Thanks. I'm just sorry Rufus got away," Nina told him.

"Hey, no problemo, Nina," Jerome said.

"Really?" Nina asked, not having registered the sarcasm in his voice like I had.

"No, not really. Now, listen up. I have kept my side of the bargain. I got you back that that thing. Now you keep your side and you protect me from that - that maniac. Or else," Jerome threatened.

"Or else what?" My sister challenged.

"I am going to the teachers myself, and I am telling them everything that you have told me.
About the search, about the puzzle pieces, about that Sarah woman, and about your little Scooby gang," Jerome stated angrily. I could tell he was actually just scared mostly but that didn't mean I liked the way he was speaking to my sister.

*****

"Don't worry, Nina Jerome's just bluffing because he's scared of what Rufus might do. I can't say I blame him," Patricia said the next morning, agreeing with my thoughts from last night.

"And here he is. Good work last night, Jerome," said Fabian.

"Nice one, mate," Alfie added.

"There's still this whole matter of Rufus getting away and the fact that he still thinks I've got the puzzle piece," Jerome told us as he sat down.

"Yeah, there is that, but you could always say," Fabian paused, not knowing what a good excuse might be.

"That victor confiscated it," I suggested.

"Right, and that's when he mummifies me. Why don't we just give the piece back to Rufus and get him off our backs once and for all?" Jerome replied. I frowned and went back to staring at my plate of eggs.

"Do you really think if we give Rufus the pieces we're in a stronger position than if we hold onto them ourselves? Because I don't," Patricia told him. "You need to speak to Rufus again. Play him along. We hold the cards here, Jerome, not him."

"Maybe we need to try putting these pieces back together again," said Jerome.

"We're going to tonight," my sister said.

"I got a message on my profile! Someone blatantly wants to be my date!" Amber squealed as she ran in and out of the room.

"I'm glad Amber's so focused," I chuckled.

*****

"Meeting tonight, 7:00!" I said as I leaned down to tell Patricia and Alfie.