House of Oblivion

Layla's POV

"Right. Uh, baby food. What do babies actually eat?" My sister asked the next morning as she walked into our room with a tray of food.

"Milk. Well, they drink it, don't they?" Amber said.

"Where have you two been?" My sister turned to Patricia and Fabian who were staring in shock at Amber.

"If you think this is bad, look at Alfie," Amber stated.

"Patricia, look at me. I know this looks like it's getting worse by the second, but we are gonna fix it. Now, tell me. Where did you find Fabian? Was he outside, in school, or," Nina asked as we watched Patricia write on a notepad only to hold it up with a bunch of random symbols instead of words.

"It's your hex. It's getting worse!" I said as she nodded.

"Okay, for now, let's just say he was outside," Nina stated.

"Yes. Yes, um, I was outside. Yeah. I had something to tell someone important. I know there was a someone and a something," Fabian muttered not helping matters one bit.

"Can someone please tell me the plan? Because if Alfie can turn into a baby, what's going to happen to me?" Amber worried.

"Amber, please don't worry," Nina told her.

"Nina, Patricia can't communicate at all. Fabian's probably going to forget his own name soon. And if you think that's bad, wait till he needs changing!" Amber pointed out.

"So what's going on here?" Fabian asked.

"You're right. This is really bad. Okay, maybe I should just check the Dollhouse," Nina suggested.

"No, no. I mean, what's going on in here? Who are you people?" Fabian asked.

"Fabian?" I said.

"Who's Fabian?" He asked. Uh oh...

"What?" Nina whispered.

"Is this a joke? Who are you, any of you? I'm really sorry I shouldn't be here. I'll I'll just go," Fabian stuttered as he quickly left.

"Fabian, wait! Wait!" Nina called out as she ran after him. The rest of us stared at each other.

*****

"The cowbell. You found it. Where was it?" Amber asked as Nina and Fabian came back into the room a little while later.

"Fabian's room," Nina answered.

"So you did steal it," Amber said.

"I don't know," Fabian replied.

"No, he didn't. I'm sure of it. But now that we have it, we might as well take it down to the tunnels, use it, and get it back to the library as quick as we can," Nina stated.

"Sorry. Go down where?" Asked Fabian.

"You're just gonna have to trust us," Nina told him.

"I don't even know you," argued Fabian. I could see the hurt on my sister's face.

"I'm Nina. Try hard, Fabian. Don't you remember?" She asked.

"No. But I do know that I trust you with my life," he said.

"Ditto," I nodded standing up.

"It has to be now. We're gonna finish that task.
And put you all back the way you were. Amber, I need you to stay and take care of Alfie," Nina said.

"No, I want to come," Amber complained.

"No. He can't go down there. I'm sure we can play the tune, the four of us. And you can just look after him while we're gone, okay? If you're with me, say, "sibuna."