House of Spirits

Layla's POV

"They were talking about the elixir, Layla," Nina said worriedly after she and Fabian had filled me in on there run in with Victor and Mr. Sweet in the old Frobisher-Library earlier.

"Victor obviously hasn't hung up his evil boots yet," I stated, crossing my arms. Though I still couldn't get the flashbacks I had received from Sarah out of my mind. He clearly had a rotten childhood, but that didn't excuse his current behavior!

"But you heard what Sweety said. They don't have the recipe, and the cup was destroyed," Fabian said. I looked at my sister.

"Yeah, about the cup," I tried to tell Fabian.

"What is that amazing smell?" Amber asked as she walked into the room.

Alfie was having Trudy help him bake cupcakes for her.

We all looked over though when we heard a commotion. Alfie had turned on the mixer without the lid.

"Alfie! Oh, turn it off!" Trudy shouted.

"Sarah would know what to do. I wish I could make myself dream of her again," Nina commented. I thought she was out of her mind. I liked the thought of Sarah and her parents finally being free of their curse. And I still had to figure more out about Charlotte and those files she had given me about the other boys and girls who had died before they could ever make it to 18.

"I tried to make myself dream about Justin Bieber once, but it wasn't Justin Bieber, it was just a beaver. I put that down to a brain typo," Amber commented.

"Amber, what are you talking about?" Nina asked.

"Why? What are you talking about?"

"Dreams," I told her.

"Me too. I'll lend you this book I have. It's really good," she told us.

"And then next, count your breaths, and with each breath, imagine yourself walking down a staircase, one step at a time and then the beaver I mean, Bieber is waiting for you at the bottom," Amber said as she read from her book that night as my sister and I sat on our bed.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked her. She nodded at me and I groaned but shrugged. If she was doing it then there was no way I was going to let her do it alone.

"Here we go, Amber, the first gift of many," Alfie said as he entered our room and handed her a box.

"Oh, you shouldn't have. How many, exactly?" I rolled my eyes at her but glanced over at my flowers from Jerome. It was a nice gesture in my book.

"It's 10:00!" We heard Victor shout.

"Got to go," Alfie said as he left.

"Cupcakes, yummy!" Amber exclaimed as she opened the box.

*****

"Five, four, three, Two, One," my sister counted as we walked down the staircase in our dream. This didn't feel like our previous ones though. It felt darker, more sinister.

"Hello? Sarah? Are you there? Charlotte? We need your help," I called out.

"Dry your eyes, chosen one," Victor suddenly said as we turned around to see him standing before us.

I looked at Nina to see her crying tears of gold.

We gasped as we woke up and turned on the lamp.

"It won't fit in the," Amber was mumbling in her sleep. My sister let out a scream of surprise as we saw her more clearly.

"Amber, your face," I told her as she screamed as she looked in a hand mirror.