House of Names

Layla's POV

"Just remember, if you can't see it, it's not there. It's not real. It's not real," Amber cried out as she held her hands in front of her face.

"It's not real, Amber," Fabian told her.

"That's right, Fabian. Say it with me," Amber stated, still not looking and realizing it was a metal spider.

"Guys, I think this is what we've been looking for. The spider that fits in the hole in the task room," my sister said.

"To pass beyond the Weaver's throne, lay her daughters in their home. Move with care through her poisoned loom. The scarlet thread may spell your doom," Fabian read aloud.

"Spiders weave webs. So is that where her throne is? The big web in the tunnel," Patricia asked.

"But who are her daughters? And where are they?" Amber pointed out.

"Okay, we need to go down and check them out tonight," Nina said.

"Maybe we should synchronize schedules, because tonight is Fabian and Joy's first date," Alfie exclaimed. I frowned and crossed my arms as my sister and I turned to Fabian.

"No. No, it's not a date. It's more like a - It's more like, um - A misunderstanding. We're just going to see that film. That Jasper was on about. It's a hardly a date," Fabian stuttered.

"No kidding," Patricia said.

"I thought we could go see that," my sister said softly. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder.

"Hey, why don't we all go? You, me, Joy, Fabian," Amber suggested quickly. "Nah, let's not crash that date," she added.

"Amber, tell her it's not a date. You were there.
You were telling me what to say!" Fabian hissed.

"I did not tell you," Amber started to say.

"Okay, guys, I get it. Tonight's just not ideal.
We can just wait one more night. The mask can wait. I need to go and phone gran anyways, so," I joined my sister as I walked with her out of the room. Once I was done with our phone conversation with gran I looked at my phone to see a text from Alfie saying that Jerome was acting weird. I walked back downstairs and knocked before entering.

"Do you want to punk Fabian and Joy on their date? We can get popcorn to throw at them, or," Alfie was suggesting as Jerome lay on his bed staring at the gem.

"That sounds like fun," I said with a grin as I entered the room. "What's up, Jerome?"

"Everything I did to get my hands on this, and I can't even put it back where it belongs!" He said.

"Have you told your dad you found it?" I asked.

"And say, "I'm sorry, dad. I know you were trying to turn your life around, but there's no more shield and I'm fresh out of ideas, so," Jerome mocked.

"Jerome, your dad won't care about that!" I said.

"Come on, you'll work something out. If you can't charm your way to that shield, then you'll scam your way to it. It's the Jerome way!" Alfie added. That seemed to perk him up a bit.

"Hey, would you want to finish our movie marathon with Eddie?" I suggested, hoping that might lift his spirits a bit more. He nodded with a smile but I saw him frown when I mentioned Eddie and had a feeling he wasn't so on board about me potentially liking someone else but that was a problem for another day.

I quickly went down the hall and knocked on Eddies door before we both joined Jerome and started watching the 6th movie.

"You know, this scene is epic but it never made sense to me. Why decide to burn down the Burrow when it never happened?" Eddie commented.