House of Keepers

Layla's POV

I chuckled as I watched Mr. Sweet and Alfie on their literal goose chase before they eventually managed to trap it in his office.

"All right, everyone Whoo. Fun and games over. Nothing else to be seen here!" Mr. Sweet called out.

*****

"Hey, Eddie!" I greeted as I saw him on the lawn. I spotted a soccer ball near by. "You up for a round?" I asked as I kicked the ball back and forth between my feet before stopping with one foot on top.

"Sure, why not?" He laughed.

"Wow, you're good," he panted as we sprawled out on the grass after half an hour.

"Thanks, so are you!" I replied. "Can I ask you something?" I rolled over to face him.

"Sure, what's up?" He asked turning to face me as well.

"Why don't you want anyone to know Mr. Sweet's your dad?" I asked noticing the immediate frown on his face. "Relax I already promised not to tell anyone, I'm just curious why you wouldn't want anyone to know?" I added.

"Well apart from all the teasing, I just...He was never around growing up. And suddenly he's calling my mom out of the blue demanding I move here? I just don't know what to make of it and I barely know him."

"I guess I can understand that," I said as I reached up to scratch my neck. I suddenly sat up as I only felt one chain. Oh no! Where was my other necklace.

"Is everything alright?" He asked.

"No! I think one of my necklaces must have fallen off! You have to help me look!" I exclaimed. But we searched for over an hour and couldn't find it. "Thanks for helping," I mumbled as I finally gave up.

"No problem, happy to help, I do hope you manage to find it!" He called back as he walked off. Well I guess I could always use the spare in the dollhouse. I headed back to the house and joined Patricia, Alfie and Fabian on the stairs.

"One word. Wow," Patricia stated as we opened the door to my room to see Amber and Nina had turned it into a mini version of the spider test with strings everywhere.

"How did you do this?" Fabian asked.

"We did a smash-and-grab in the art room," Amber replied.

"Okay, guys. Practice time. So we need to get from here to the vanity desk without touching any of them," Nina said as she pointed at all of the strings.

"The silver threads give you a sting," Alfie commented remembering the other night.

"What about the others?" Patricia asked.

"We don't know yet, but I'm sure it's not good," I told her.

"I don't get it. How are we supposed to get over there without touching anything?" Patricia asked.

"Allow me," Amber said about to make her way through.

"Amber, are those the right kind of shoes for Web walking?" She pointed out.

"These are my web wedges, Patricia. You're talking to a girl who can deadly hopscotch in formal wear. Watch and learn," Amber said. I laughed but she actually seemed to be doing a good job.

"This reminds me of those spy movies with the laser grids," I commented, causing my sister to roll her eyes at me.

"Okay. Good job. Under. Good. Oh, wait, careful, careful!" Nina said.

"I'm stuck! I'm stuck, I'm stuck!" Amber cried out as her foot got caught on one of the strings. So much for her shoes.

"Man down, man down!" Alfie exclaimed.