House of Deceit

Layla's POV

"Even though each civilization comes and goes, they always leave behind a footprint for the next one and that couldn't be more important for all of us today," Fabian said as he finished his speech. It was the exact same as in the nightmare but I had to remind myself that his speech was always going to be the same.

"Is anyone else feeling deja vu-y? The same fights, the same gossip. It's freaking me out.
Don't you two dare dance!" I heard Amber saying as Eddie walked over to where Jerome and I were dancing.

"Mind if I cut in?" He asked. I looked over to see Jerome looking irritated but after all it wasn't up to him to decide who I did or didn't dance with and I had promised Eddie earlier that I would. I always tried my best to follow through on any promises I made.

"Not at all," I told him as he wrapped his arms around me and we started dancing.

"Wow, you're a great dancer," I said as he spun me around.

"Always the tone of surprise," he said. We danced for several minutes before he suddenly looked at me.

"Layla, would you want to go on a date with me?" He asked.

"Oh! Um...well see, I've already got a boyfriend remember! Jerome," I told him ignoring the fact that a part of me desperately wanted to say yes.

"I don't mind sharing," he said with a shrug.

"You...what now?" I asked in surprise. Was he suggesting what I thought he was. "Look it's fine, if you're not interested in me like that, but for the record, it's not like I would make you choose or anything," he said as he spun me around.

"Um...how about we start with a movie marathon? Like, as friends? Get a chance to know each other better," I suggested.

"Sure! That sounds great. Any suggestions?"

"Well we do go to school at Hogwarts now!" I giggled. "We could do a Potter marathon and see what new references we can come up with?"

"It's a deal!" Eddie replied with a grin.

We danced for several more minutes before I finally needed a break. These heels looked great on me but were not idea for long hours of standing. I sighed in relief as I sat at the nearest table and took them off. I noticed Jerome, Alfie and Eddie talking in the corner.

"Psst. Psst," I heard someone say as I sat watching Eddie walking over to peel Patricia off the wall and get her to dance with him. Who? Me? Jealous. No way! "Hi!" I heard Poppy say as she squatted under the table with my purse and the letter in her hand.

"Why have you got it?" I asked her.

"I'm sorry. "I went to see if the letter had arrived yet, and Vera said Victor gave it to you, and," she said.

"Have you opened it?" I asked.

"Not yet. I'm scared," she admitted.

"Poppy! Could this night get any worse? Get out from there now. All right, enough. What is going on between you two? And why has she got your purse, Layla? Is there something in there?" Jerome said as he peered under the table and then grabbed my purse off of Poppy. "Well?!"

"Have you seen Nina?" Fabian asked us.

"No, I have not seen Nina!" Jerome told him. "Well?" Jerome asked as he handed me back my purse but looked down at the letter, flipping it over and seeing the sticker on the back. "You went behind my back! I expect this from her but not you!" He exclaimed angrily.