House of Accusations

Layla's POV

"Guys, we saw Victor in the cellar mixing chemicals. He's brewing elixir again," Nina said as she and Fabian joined us in the drama studio later.

"Oh, that could be bad," Amber commented.

"How are the chemical riddles coming?" Alfie asked.

"I'm still stuck on "sweet scent of mourning," Fabian replied.

"Hmm. Well, good luck with that," Alfie said as he blew a whistle in Amber's face.

"Oh. Alfie, I'm right here!" she cried out.

"Jerome made me coach, and you've got training. So three laps around the school and squats and lunges. Times 20. Go!" Alfie instructed.

*****

"Mara, how could you write this?" Fabian said with a sigh the next morning.

"Personally I think Mara is on to something," I said sticking up for her. She sent me a grateful smile. Besides she wasn't wrong. There was something seriously off with Vera.

"Write what?" Amber asked.

"What if they close down the school site because of it?" Fabian said.

"Chill, man. The story was off the chain. It had to come out," Eddie said.

"Shocked face. Mara, you destroyed her," Amber chimed in.

"I stand by everything I wrote, and I'm going to prove it," Mara said.

"Yeah, you go, girl," Eddie cheered.

"There is to be a hearing today to ascertain the legitimacy or otherwise of a story which has appeared on the school website. I am instructing all Anubis house students to attend and hear the truth!" Victor told us as he came into the room.

"Sorry, Mara," Amber said quickly.

"Why a hearing?" Eddie asked.

"We're all behind you. It'll be okay," Amber reassured her.

"Yeah," I agreed as the others left the table.

"Okay, sweet scent of mourning essence. What is it?" Fabian asked once it was just us three at the table.

"And it's "mourning" as in funerals, not "morning" as in breakfast," Nina pointed out.

"Yeah, right. You okay?" He asked as she held up some of her food.

"Yeah, I'm okay," she replied as she continued to hold her food out. Um...what was she doing?

"You can have it," Fabian said confused.

"No, smell it. It smells familiar like - It's like one of the jars from the tunnels," she said as she made me smell it as well.

"Cinnamon," I exclaimed.

"The Egyptians used lots of spices in embalming. Wait. "Cinnamon: A Spice from the bark of the cinnamomum tree. In the ancient world, it was widely used in funerals and in the process of mummification," Fabian recited as he read from his book.

"Gran always said breakfast was the most important meal of the day," I grinned at Nina.
Another clue solved!

*****

"This hearing has been called to determine the accuracy of an article written by Mara Jaffray about Vera Devenish. We should begin in a few moments," Mr. Sweet said as everyone was gathered in the drama studio.

"Hey, now's our chance," Nina whispered, hoping we could sneak back to the house.

"Be seated. This is an official hearing. Could someone please close the doors?" Mr. Sweet asked as he noticed us trying to leave.