Chapter 22

Naruto POV

I cursed in my head as I ran and jumped through the trees where Sasuke had headed.That stupid oaf. Dimwit. Baffoon. Dipsh-

Watch it. Kurama muttered in my head.

Do you really think I care about that right now? You were about to swear at me so many damn times! I accused the furball.

Yes. Now watch where you're going. Kurama said, just as my face hit a tree branch. I tumbled down, grumbling as my face stung and my speed was checked.

I stood up and tried to figure out where I was. Then, of all the stupid times, I looked into my Kunai pouch and found my special Hiraijin kunais.

It struck you only now? How are you in ANBU at all? Kurama questioned. I slapped my forehead.

"Stupid oaf, Naruto. You put the marking on his shoulder, remember?" I mumbled to myself as I picked myself up and flashed to where I thought Sasuke was. 

Maybe that was a little too close, because I fell right on top of him.

"Oomph!" We both huffed before I jumped away and got into a battle stance.

"Are you going to ask me where the Sound 4 are?" Sasuke smirked.

"You took care of them, did you not?" I smiled back.

"Heh. You sure think you know me." He walked toward me slowly. I put my hand down, but never let down my guard.

"I would ask why you were leaving, but you kinda gave it away, so I won't let you have that glee." I taunted.

"Hold on. Can you even imagine my face with glee?" Sasuke asked with a genuine smile on his face, one which I returned.

EY BOY-O! GET THE FIGHT GOING! I WANNA STRETCH! Kurama whined in my head. 

"Shut up, Kyuu." I said out loud, then slapped my hand to my mouth.

"You told me who he is, remember?" Sasuke reminded me gently.

"Oh yeah. Well, if you haven't noticed, I've been in a lot of stress for the past half an hour, so forgive me." I proclaimed with sarcasm layered on every word. But deep inside, my heart beat in double time and my lungs felt like they were being squeezed.

(A/N: I'm cringing at the use of verbs. I'm terribly sorry, even honors english didn't fix me back in 10th, 11th, and 12th grade)

"Didn't know you could get stressed."

Naruto was at the limits of his patience and his cool. "DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND, YOU IDIOT? I'm an ANBU! I HAD A DAMN MISSION TO PROTECT YOU AND MAKE SURE YOU DIDN'T RUN TO OROCHIMARU!" I sniffed and blinked hard as tears started to well up in my eyes. Dammit, I didn't know I was this pathetic.

"What makes me desperate isn't the punishment that's gonna come afterward. Which, by the way, is probably gonna involve opening all my scars again." Sasuke widened his eyes at that, which I sorta expected, "What saddens me is you. I'm going to loose you. There won't be anyone in the whole damn village to challenge me or to yell at me like you do, no one for me to lean on the way I lean on you." My voice broke, and I lowered my head as the traitorous drops ran down my cheeks.

(A/N: Like I said, this is NaruHina, I promise I'll make a proper SasuNaru fanfic soon. Maybe after both my stories are done.)

"Is that all you think? That's so pathetic." Sasuke had the audacity to sneer at me. "Kakashi yells at you all the time and you could just spar with him. And learn to sleep on a bed, not on a person." His snooty voice infuriates me.

"Alright then," I murmur loud enough for him to hear, all traces of sorrow or distress vanishing from my voice. "I guess the sob story doesn't work for you." I raised my head.

Naruto POV

I stood ready for him. 

"Nah. Not for a minute." Sasuke chuckled. 

"And that's why you're my best friend." I smiled serenely.

Third POV

Naruto stood ready for battle, those clear blue eyes wiped of any emotion and instead filled with the drive for success.

It was honestly scary to witness him like that, kunai in hand, sword in the other, battle stance at the ready, and blue eyes ready to raze even the most stubborn of hearts and the most firm of resolves with the terror that it emanated.

This is the #1 unpredictable ninja, the Savior, and his story.

(A/N: HA! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, SUCKERS! THAT CLIFFHANGER IS ONE OF THE BEST I'VE COME UP WITH! But don't worry, there's a lot of action and stuff that'll come in the next chapter which I will immediately begin to write. I'm also extremely sorry that I took so long to write something, I went on a hiatus while my brain decided to get addicted to Webtoons. I'll write again soon. Until then, cheers mate!)