Chapter 23

Third POV

A single leaf, greener than the grass, floated between the 2 prodigies. When it landed, their battle commenced. And yet, it took what seemed like an eternity for that one leaf to fall.

The moment was silent as night, a ripple so small compared to the 2 forces that clashed; one to avenge, one to protect. 

BAM!!!

Naruto and Sasuke spun around each other, trying every single trick in their arsenal. Of course, Naruto had the sheer power and experience to win. And yet, Sasuke had the skill of a true Uchiha Prodigy; and more importantly, NOTHING held him back. He had nothing to lose anyway.

It's time to use my chakra, Naruto.

I know.  He really must have trained a lot. Naruto thought.

"I never should have taught you tricks." Naruto smiled.

"Never trust anyone." Sasuke smirked, but his eyes told a different story. Only someone like Naruto could tell what that meant.

No, actually. Never trust anyone.

Naruto took the message by replying, "Oh yes, sensei. I know that, and I'll follow it until the day I die. Shall I spar with you once my abilities are better?" Sarcasm seeped out of his voice, but Naruto could sense that Sasuke understood.

 I got it, Don't trust anyone. We'll spar once again.

//Time-skip because I'm tired//

The Valley of the end was filled with holes, cracks, and other signs of damage. The 2 fighters too were scratched up, for the damage had not left them alone. Sasuke's cheek had a bloody gash, and Naruto's old scars had started to burn. He had a new would right under where his bangs stood.

Their arms and legs were scratched up, and Sasuke's shoulder was limp. But with his left hand, Sasuke held a chidori

(A/N: ok, here we go again, cue the Sadness and Sorrow - OST soundtrack, pull the curtains and my curly hair up, stretch my fingers, and hope I don't get copyrighted.)

"WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?" It was not Naruto who yelled, but Sasuke.

"WHY ARE YOU SO FIXATED ON ME?"

"Because you're my best friend." Naruto smiled, heartbroken that Sasuke wouldn't come back to the leaf village.

"This is it Sasuke, it's the last chance I can beg Tsunade for." Naruto warned, desperation lacing his voice.

"This is the last chance for me."

"No. It's the only chance for ME." Sasuke smiled wickedly. "I can grow stronger in my own way, I don't need you, scavenger. Now MOVE." Sasuke raised his chidori, ready to pounce.

"Love ya too, kitty cat. But nope." Naruto raised his rasengan.

And they charged.

(A/N: lovely cliffhanger that I hate, but this doesn't work)

The world waited with baited breath as the 2 shinobi charged with their respective finishing strikes. A flash beamed as they met, but...

Naruto's rasengan fizzled out.

His form went limp.

The red chakra enclosing his body vanished.

Blood spattered from his heart, and he coughed out blood.

Sasuke's chidori fizzled out as well, as his mind tried to comprehend the stupid thing Naruto had done. Panic immediately seized the Uchiha, and his body started shaking.