Chapter 16

Ares pulls into the driveway, his stomach rumbling in anticipation for the food he'd been waiting for. And his mind on the chef.

So much so that as he made his way up to the door, he hadn't seen the other two cars parked on the curb.

Or more so the familiarity hadn't registered.

Opening the door, he is surprised at all the voices he hears, quickly recognizing quay and Felix's along with Kelsey and Assiana's.

Making his way into the house, he turns the corner to the living room and is greeted by his everyone and a girl he thought looked familiar.

"Ayeee look who finally decided to show up. Hope we ain rush you lil bro" Felix exclaims winking at Ares.

Ares chuckles before going over to everyone and greeting them.

"Nah, was spose to leave earlier but she kept me a lil longer" he answered, having Felix quay and benjii snickering.

Turning to the girls he nodded at them before looking to the one that seemed familiar.

"Shit Anika, that you?" He asked the girl sat beside Kelsey.

She smiled.
"In the flesh. Long time no see Ru" she replied standing to give him a hug.

"Likewise. Watchyu doing here" he continued talking to her as everyone resumed their conversations.

"Well I'm moving out here actually. You know I been wanting to just move in with benjii but he ain on good terms with ma so that was the issue. And I wasn't emancipated making it so I couldn't legally just leave. She wasn't gone let me leave neither since she wanted them child support checks and stamps. But since turning 18 last week, I packed my shit and here I am" she told Ares and the boy nods. This was one reason he felt he could talk to Anika on another level. She knew what it was like to have a fucked up parent and no one else. Of course she had benjii so that was different. But she still suffered like him.

Assiana's eyes flicker up to ares ever so often as he talked to Anika.

She didn't know why she felt slightly upset as they spoke but reminded her self she had no reason.

Anika had already told her how Ares was like a brother to her since they met and he has a whole girl friend.

So why was she feeling so weird?

"Ima be right back kels. I'm gon get some more food for y'all" she said to Kelsey.

"Alrighty ima go bother quay" she grinned to herself making her way to her boy friend.

Making her way to the kitchen, Assiana put more burrito wraps in a container before grabbing a bag of chips with the dip she'd made.

Opening the oven she grabbed the fries she'd let stay in there to keep hot and placed them in a bowl for the wraps.

"Si" she jumps at the sound before turning to the source. Letting out a sigh to calm her racing heart, she gives Ares a small smile.

"Hey" she told him.
He smiled back.

"I ain expect everyone to already be here when I got back you know."he told her honestly.

She shrugged.

"I thought you told em to come. They got here like thirty minutes after I called you" she told him.

"Prolly just went with the time I told em earlier. My fault then. Just woulda wanted to... ion know... get to talk to you a little" he said getting closer to Assiana.

Ares knew he was playing a dangerous game. But he didn't mind. While he didn't understand his feelings for Assiana, he knew he couldn't get her out of his head. And wondered if getting what he wanted would stop her from consuming his every thought.