Chapter 48: Accident

Zoe's POV

Rafael decided to meet me here so we could talk about the situation, right now I was waiting for him in a café thirty minutes from my new house.

I readjusted my sunglasses and played around with the glass of juice in front of me.

I was mainly here because of the call I had with Sebastian and because I deserved an explanation.

I recalled the conversation I had yesterday with Sebastian.

"Hello," I answered my phone, curious as to the unknown caller ID.

"Zoe," A man spoke. I could recognize it was Sebastian. This time his voice didn't hold a sense of arrogance or entitlement like it usually does but rather a sense of urgency.

"Are you calling to insult me again?" I asked.

"I'm calling in good faith, I don't want to fight with you." He spoke.

He sighed. "I need your help; I think you are the only one who might be able to reach out to Rafael. He has been avoiding me and I really need to talk to him. I need your help to convince him to meet with him, just once and I won't bother him again." He pleaded.

I sighed.

"If he is avoiding you, maybe you should give him some space. He probably just wants to think about things and readjust to the new situation." I spoke.

I'm not too sure I blame Rafael, thinking that your parents didn't want you and then suddenly your dad wants to be in your life. It couldn't be easy.

"I just found out that my son is alive after more than thirty years, can you try and imagine how I feel? It's only natural that I want to get to know him." He spoke. His voice grew more desperate.

"Even if I wanted to help, Rafael isn't answering my calls either. I haven't been able to reach him." I explained.

"Please, just try again. After this, I won't bother you or him again." He continued.

I could have used this opportunity to take revenge on him for all the awful things he has done and said to me but what he was going through was much worse. I couldn't imagine losing my baby.

"Okay, I will keep trying his phone," I answered.

"Thank you, Zoe." He whispered. "You have a good heart."

He paused.

"I also just want to apologize to you. Only until now have I realised that I've been doing the same thing to you that they did to me. Claire's father never thought I was good enough for her that's why I was never able to be with her and it cost me my son. I thought I was looking out for Alexander's best interest, but I realized how wrong I was. You are good for Alex, and I think the two of you deserve to be happy. I won't stand in your way anymore."

I didn't expect this, Sebastian waving a white flag. I hadn't expected a genuine apology from him anytime soon.

"I know what I did to you was awful, but I hope you will be able to forgive me." He spoke continued.

I know Sebastian and I could never be friends, but I didn't want to be at war with him. We would always have Alexander in common which meant we would somehow always be involved in each other's lives.

"Thanks to this baby we are family, right? I don't hold any grudges against you." I spoke. It took a lot out of me to say those words, it was better to forgive than to keep holding on to hatred.