Chapter 24: Officially homeless

Zoe's POV

I stood in front of Alexander's front door, clenching onto my suitcase.

"I can do this," I muttered, pep-talking myself. "It's only for tonight."

I took in a deep breath before pressing the doorbell.

The sound of the doorbell brought me back to the reality of what I was about to do.

"There's no turning back now," I muttered, managing to convince myself.

Minutes later I noticed the door knob slowly turn.
The door opened revealing a distorted-looking Alexander.

"Zoe!" he exclaimed, his eyebrow raised in confusion. "What are you doing here?"  He asked.

I took another deep breath before answering.

"I'm moving in,"  I answered.

༻❁༺

*EARLIER THAT DAY*

The neighbour's dog woke me up from my sleep. The dog belonged to the owner in the next apartment block, it had been a while since I last heard the door bark this loud.

I groaned as the dog continued to bark. I pulled the cushion over my head trying to block the noise.

Last night I ended up falling asleep on the couch, Reina and Abby tucked me to sleep. I refused to move to my bedroom after my outburst.

I opened my eyes to the dark room, with the curtains closed, the lighting was always bad in the living room.

Yesterday's memories flooded over me like a bucket of ice.
'This was what I wanted,' I reminded myself. I just didn't think it would suck this much.

I groaned again trying to forget everything.

After a few minutes, I finally registered that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep again. I'm sure I heard a couple of my neighbours swear at the dog owner.

I pushed the blanket away from my face and stared at the empty ceiling. I started thinking about what I'd spent the rest of my day doing. I had spent so much time watching TV that if I watched anymore, I'd become depressed.

I had no idea staying at home would be this boring. I miss how my life was before everything when I still had a job and I'd watch the happy faces of customers buy baked goods for their loved ones. Most of all, I miss coffee.

My phone rang on my coffee table. I sat up and reached for my phone in the darkroom.

The numbers 10: 15 on the corner of my screen hit me along with my mom's name, I can't believe I had slept that much.

"Mom," I exclaimed answering the phone.

"Morning honey," Mom answered enthusiastically.

"Tell her I said morning," Dad yelled in the background.

"Why do the two of you sound so happy?" I asked. Mornings are usually not my moms' favourites, or mine.