Chapter 49: Tragedy pulls people together

Zoe's POV

I anxiously bite my nails waiting for the news. I few hours had already gone by, and no one seems to be telling me any information.

Rafael was pacing the room as we both grow more anxious.

How did things end this badly, everything was fine. The doctors had assured me that my baby was alright and now I don't even know whether he was going to make it or not. I still hadn't heard anything about Alexander, he could be dead for all I know.

I held my hands together, hoping for a miracle.

My first prayer was answered when Alexander walked in.

Was out of breath, his hair all messed up and his shirt untucked, it was a total contrast to his usual appearance. He looked a little bit out of place, but he was alive and in one piece.

"Are you okay?" Alex asked matching towards my bed.

"You are alive," I squealed in relief. I touched his arm to see if he was real. He was really here.

"It was a whole misunderstanding; I don't know how they came up with that story. The plane doesn't even belong to my company." He explained.

Rafael smiled. "I'll leave the two of you alone," he spoke.

Alex nodded at Rafael in acknowledgement as Rafael stepped out of the room.

"Why weren't you answering your phone, I was so worried about you." I nearly cried.

"I'm so sorry, but I'm here now." He pulled me into a hug.

Everything felt better now, maybe things would be alright. Here in this situation, we would both give each other strength.

That's when the nurse walked in, Alex stood next to me as we both waited for the news.

She paused as if to study our reaction.

That's when I knew that this couldn't be good.

"I'm sorry ma'am, your son didn't make it." The nurse spoke.

***

THREE DAYS LATER

Emptiness, that's all that I feel inside of me.

For the last three days, I've been replaying the nurse's words over and over in my head. Each time I keep hoping that I had misunderstood her.

Three days have gone by and I'm still not any closer to accepting the truth. My son couldn't have died.

I asked to be discharged from the hospital, I couldn't stand to be in that place. I went back to Alexander's place.

I didn't want to go back to my house, everything would just make me think of him more, all the decorations we did for the nursery and how we had already baby-proofed most parts of the house. I wouldn't be able to take it.

I still hadn't told my parents or anyone else about what had happened.

I stared at the empty space as I tried to think of what I could have done wrong.

Maybe this whole thing was my fault. Maybe I should have eaten healthier, excised more and not gotten into so many unnecessary fights all the time to reduce the stress. Maybe he would be alive right now.

Maybe Rafael was right. Without the baby, nothing was holding Alex and me together anymore. Now that the baby is gone, I'm sure he would leave any moment and things would go back to the way there were as if we had never met.