Chapter 8: The baby swap

Zoe's POV

I stood there as I watched the building going up in flames. I had just set it on fire, I don't regret it.

There was smoke everywhere. The neighbours were rushing out of their homes to see what was happening.

I needed to get out of here before anyone realised it was me.

I woke up gushing for air. It took me a while before I finally caught my breath.

I switched my night lamp on.

"It was just a nightmare," I repeated to myself.

But it wasn't.

When Gerald and I broke up, I was in a dark place.

Which lead into unhealthy behaviour. I started drinking.

One night, I went to his house and set it on fire. No one was in there nor was I caught. The next day, my conscious wouldn't stop bothering me. I told him the truth, that I was the one who set it on fire. I even offered to pay for all the damages but he let me off the hook and said he understood. Although Gerald had broken my heart, it wasn't the person I wanted to become.

Even though it happened a long time ago, it still bothers me, I would have never expected myself to do that, but I did. It's a dark place I never want to return to.

I suddenly felt nauseous. I pushed my blankets off of me and ran to the bathroom.

I opened the toilet seat, putting my face into the toilet, vomiting last nights' diner.

Maybe I was pregnant. I wanted to wait a few more day before I took the test. Or maybe it was just the bad Chinese food I had for diner.

Once I was sure everything was out, I flushed the toilet.

I rinsed my mouth in the basin then returned to my bed wiping my mouth with the back of my hand.

I felt completely drained like I had nothing left in my stomach. I didn't want to eat now, I knew I'd throw up again.

I slipped into my bed, holding my blankets tightly around me.

It took me a while before I fell asleep again.

════════════════════

"Wake up," someone yelled. I felt my bed bounce up and down from beneath me.

It was difficult to stay asleep.

I groaned turning on my bed.

I opened my eyes slowly adjusting it to the light beaming through the curtain. Reina was jumping up and down on my bed, what was she? Two?

"It's still early," I groaned. I hadn't slept well between vomiting and nightmares.

I grabbed my blanket covering my head with it.

I felt my blankets slipping away off of me.

"It's morning," A grumpy looking Abby said. I hadn't noticed her. She was standing at my feet, pulling away the remaining part of my blankets that covered my feet.

I felt a chill on my bare legs. I hugged myself for warmth wanting to continue sleeping.

"Come on, it's Saturday," Reina exclaimed. " We have but above an hour before you have to go to your cafe. We have a spa appointment." she continued.

She finally stopped jumping on my bed.

"I want to sleep," I groaned.

I took my pillow, covering my face with it.