2.

Kai looks around her apartment for her other shoe. She told Jaxon they'd get lunch at 12:30 and still hasn't finished getting ready. "Ugh!"

AJ walks into their bedroom and smiles. "Everything alright in here?"

"No! I can't find my shoe. And look at my hair. It looks so ass right now." Kai frowns.

AJ smiles at her, walking over to stand in front of her. "I think your hair looks good. What shoe are you looking for?"

Kai holds up one of her platform sandals. "This one. We wore them to the bar the other night."

AJ nods his head. "Did you check the guest room? That's where you fell asleep."

Kai raises her eyebrows. "Seriously?"

"Mhm." AJ starts walking away to go find the shoe for Kai. "Who are you getting lunch with?"

"Jaxon," Kai responds as she looks in the mirror to finish her makeup. "I haven't seen him lately. Too busy studying for this test."

AJ appears in the bathroom, Kai's long-lost shoe having been found. "You're gonna ace it, babe."

"You said that last time." Kai smiles as she applies her lipgloss. "Though, your positive affirmations are appreciated."

AJ smiles back at her. "Good to know," He holds the shoe out to Kai. "Here you are, Cinderella."

"You're a lifesaver." Kai slips her shoes on before turning to AJ. "How do I look?"

AJ's smile never leaves his face as he steps forward to fix Kai's dress, making sure it was in the correct place. He uses one finger to lift one of the straps. "I think you look sexy."

Kai's eyes wander to meet AJ's and she smiles. "Thank you."

"Good thing you're going to meet Jaxon and not some other dude."

Kai laughs at him and pulls away a little bit. "Who knows? Maybe I'll swoon him over."

"Yeah, I'm sure you could." AJ smiles and leans in to kiss her on her cheek, not wanting to mess up her lipgloss. "Have a good time at lunch, okay?"

**
Jaxon watches as Kai takes a bite from her food. He smiles at her. "So? How have you been?"

"I've been good. How about you?"

"Oh, ya know." Jaxon sets his phone down on the table. "I don't know."

Kai frowns. "What's wrong, babe?"

Jaxon lets out a sigh. "Just school stress. I have like...Zero motivation and...I'm not even sure what I wanna do afterward. Like, publish a book or..? Write for a company? I don't know."

"That's okay! You don't have to initially have a plan right after."

"I know, I know. I'm just...Not feeling it right now." Jaxon responds.

Kai nods her head. "Yeah, me too. After I first failed my exam, I bawled my eyes out for like four days. AJ almost called my mom it was that bad."

Jaxon raises his eyebrows. "Seriously?"

"Mhm. I really wanna be a teacher but that test is so hard," Kai groans. "I really need to pass it this time, like...I can't fail it again."

"You got this, Kai. When do you retest?"

"Next month. I've been...Studying nonstop. AJ has really been helping lately too."

"That's good. You're definitely gonna pass."

Kai smiles and takes a sip from her drink. "How about Shawn? How's he doing?"

"Really good. He's juggling working at the diner while also at the tattoo shop." Jaxon replies.

"Oh wow. I thought he quit."

"They did. But their boss contacted him and Gavin and asked if they'd be available from time to time and so he has a shift like...every other night."

"Damn. That's gotta be rough."

"He seems to be handling it pretty well. He's got a great work ethic, he's definitely grown from high school."

Kai laughs and nods her head. "Oh, he hated it."

"Literally despised it," Jaxon smiles. "I'm super proud of him. How's AJ doing with his work?"

"Good. He's shadowing this technician right now so he'll have a job as soon as he graduates."

"That's great! Damn, I've gotta get my shit together." Jaxon grabs his drink and takes a sip from it.

"Girl, stop it. Aren't you writing a book?"

"I mean yeah but...I don't think it's very good. And, plus, I've submitted countless short stories that have been rejected. I haven't published a single thing yet."

"Isn't rejection like...A normal occurrence in writers? It doesn't mean your writing is bad. Some publishers just need a certain vibe."

Jaxon sighs. "Yeah, well. Apparently, I don't have the right vibe for literally anyone."

"You gotta stop doubting yourself. You should let me read the chapters you have written already."

"What? No! They're unedited."

"So? I'm your best friend, dummy. I should get first dibs...Or second...Let me guess Shawn has already read through them and told you how perfect you are."

"I haven't shown him either," Jaxon says.

"Really?" Kai's eyes widen. "Why not?"

"Cause...I'm nervous. Maybe I should've stuck with fashion or something."

Kai shakes her head. "Listen here Jaxon, soon-to-be Williams. You're an amazing writer. Rejection is all a part of the process but you have to stop with the self-loathing. I know it sucks to be stumped but you gotta pick yourself up."

Jaxon smiles and nods his head in an understanding manner. "I know."

"Okay, smarty pants. So, let me read some chapters!"

**
When Shawn walked into the house, it was almost midnight. He sighs as he sets his thing down, kicking his shoes off and leaving them at the front door.

He walks down the hall, peaking his head inside his and Jaxon's bedroom. He sees Jaxon sitting up with his glasses on his face, typing on his computer.

He had a small candle burning, with Kiko sprawled across the bed asleep. He wasn't listening or watching anything and all you could hear was his fingers pressing the keys.

Shawn fully opens the door and walks in. "Hi."

Jaxon turns and smiles at him. "Hi," He shoves his computer off his lap before standing up to properly greet Shawn. He kisses him on the lips once.

"You're in a good mood," Shawn says as Jaxon begins unbuttoning his shirt.

Jaxon shrugs as he pulls Shawn's shirt off his shoulders. "Yeah, I just had a good talk with Kai today."

"Hm. Have you eaten yet?"

"Uh, no. I was waiting for you to get here. I can make us something really quick."

"Would you, please?" Shawn reaches down to his belt buckle, starting to undo it. "I very aggressively need to take a shower."

"Sure. Are you sure working at the diner isn't too much for you? You know you can always say no, right?"

Shawn nods. "Yeah, baby. I think I'm okay. Thank you for asking, though." He couldn't help himself but to lean down and kiss Jaxon's forehead.

"Okay, okay...I'll go get started on dinner. Get your stinky ass in the shower." Jaxon jokes.

**