19.

Shawn turns over in bed, trying to get comfortable. He groans as he turns on his back, looking up at the ceiling. He glances over to Jaxon's side of the bed, seeing him wide awake with his laptop screen lighting up his face.

He watches Jaxon type on his computer for a few seconds before sitting up in bed. Jaxon looks over at him and smiles. "Hey."

"Hey." He responds, wiping his eyes a few times. He furrows his brows at Jaxon. "What time is it?"

Jaxon glances at his computer. "It's two in the morning."

"Oh, shit." Shawn yawns and reaches out to push Jaxon's glasses up the bridge of his nose. "What're you doing up?"

"Finishing my essay. You?" Jaxon smiles.

"Can't sleep," Shawn grabs his phone off his bedside table, checking through his unanswered messages.

"Wanna watch a movie or something? We could run out and get some snacks like we used to."

Shawn glances back at Jaxon and shrugs. "What? Nah, it's fine. I'm gonna go drink something," He shoves the comforter off his body and walks out of the bedroom.

Jaxon frowns and sets his computer down, following Shawn into the kitchen. He was pouring himself some vodka. "Baby?"

Shawn looks over at him. "What?"

"You sure you don't just want some coffee or something?"

"No," Shawn responds before taking a sip from his cup. "I'm fine. Just go finish your essay or something."

Jaxon steps forward, grabbing his arm. "You don't have to shut me out."

Shawn doesn't respond as he takes another swig from his drink. He takes a deep breath in and shakes his head. "I'm fine, Jaxon."

Jaxon nods his head. "Okay," Jaxon places a kiss on Shawn's bare shoulder before walking back into the bedroom. He closes the door behind himself and sighs.

Shawn grabs the bottle of vodka and takes a seat at their kitchen table. He'd pulled his mom's scrapbook out from where he kept it in the living room. He flips it open, pulling a picture of his mom from the plastic sleeve.

He stares at it for a while before bringing up hand back up to touch the scar above his eyebrow. He sniffs and grabs his cup of alcohol, angrily wiping the tears from his eyes.

He slams the scrapbook closed, keeping the photo of his mother in his hands. He chugs the rest of his drink empty before he makes his way to the bedroom. He lays back down on his side, setting the picture on the bedside table.

He sighs and turns over in bed to look at Jaxon. "I'm sorry, babe. I don't mean to be cold to you."

"It's okay. You don't have to tell me what's going on until you're ready. Just know that I'm always here for you, okay?"

***
Gavin was holding a bag of fast food for him and Shawn. He walks into the tattoo shop and smiles at Maverick. "Sup man. Shawn on break?"

"Yup. Just finished with a client."

Gavin nods his head and makes his way to Shawn's area. "Hey, man. Hungry?"

They went out to sit in Gavin's car, per Gav's request. He was gonna try and get Shawn to open up as much as he could.

Shawn was shoving handfuls of french fries in his mouth, staring out the window. "So? How's work going?"

Shawn turns his head to look at him. "Why are you talking like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like we haven't talked in weeks. You know how work is going." Shawn responds and looks back out the window.

"Just tryna make conversation, man. Why'd you bail on lunch yesterday? Was it busy?"

Shawn lets out a deep breath and nods. "Mhm."

"Oh sweet. You have a lot of clients yest-."

"Gavin! Whatever it is you're trying to say just fuckin' say it. No point in beating around the bush." Shawn grabs his drink and takes a long sip from it.

Gavin shrugs his shoulders. "Well, you're acting weird. And you're acting like you did when you were younger. After your dad would hit you. So what's going on?"

Shawn chuckles and rolls his eyes. "So, Jaxon talked to you. I'm assuming."

"Yeah, man. Cause he's fucking worried about you. And I am too because I've seen you act like this before."

Shawn sets his drink down and swings the car door. "Okay, look. Thanks for lunch but nothing is going on with me. I'll see you later."

Shawn slams the car door shut and walks back into the tattoo shop.

*
Shawn walks into the house, slamming the front door. He sees Jaxon sitting at their table doing some homework.

"You make it a habit of telling Gavin everything that happens in our relationship?"

Jaxon stands up and shakes his head. "What?"

"You have to fuckin' tell him what goes in this house? Why? Why can't you keep shit to yourself?"

Jaxon shakes his head again. "Baby...That wasn't-...I wasn't trying to tell him everything but you were acting weird last night and I was worried."

"I told you I was fine!" He yells.

Jaxon raises his eyebrows in a you-know-better-than-that manner. "Yeah, and I know you. And I know when you lie to me." Jaxon crosses his arms. "And I told you I'll wait til you're ready to talk. So don't be like that with me."

Shawn sighs and takes a seat at their table. He knew he was acting irrational, and he knew Jaxon was right. "Okay."

Jaxon sits back down with him, reaching his hand out to hold Shawn's. "I'm sorry for talking to Gavin, okay? Or...At least not telling you about it."

"Sorry for yelling," Shawn says back.

Jaxon sighs and kisses Shawn's hand. "Look...Timothy and Armonn invited us out for drinks again. Would that take your mind off of whatever it is?"

"You wanna go out?"

"Only if you want to. Or we could stay in and finish Jurassic World like you want." Jaxon smiles.

"No, it's okay. Going out seems fun," Shawn stands up from the table. "Ima go shower." He doesn't wait for Jaxon to respond before he walks away.

**