oliver

˙⟡♡ + extra special chapters !! hope u enjoy love you guys. also sorry for any inaccuracies but this is also fiction so don't kill me.

~ Seven years later ~

*  *  *

The doorbell rang, echoing through their quiet house in Philadelphia. Jaxon quickly bookmarks the page to his book, exchanging a look at Shawn, who was sitting across the room.

"Expecting someone?" Shawn jokes, setting his iPad aside.

"Not that I know of," he rises from the couch, pushing his glasses up his nose. He feels a twinge of anticipation in his heart. They've been approved as foster parents for several months now, meeting with a social worker to discuss the placement of a child by the name of Oliver.

Jaxon takes a deep breath and swings the door open to reveal a social worker standing on their doorstep. Standing beside him was a small, trembling figure–a boy no older than four, with big, brown, doe-like eyes and a mop of unruly curls. He held a dinosaur plushie in his hands, holding the social worker's hand.

"Good Morning," the social worker says, offering Shawn and Jaxon a weary smile. "Remember my friends, Oliver?"

Jaxon's heart clenched at the sight of the child next to Laura. His cheeks were slightly red, and his eyes were glossy, as if he was just crying. Without a word, Jaxon steps aside, ushering Laura and Oliver into their home.

Shawn crouches down at eye level with Oliver, a small smile on his face. "Hi, Oliver. Remember me? My name is Shawn. And that is Jaxon."

Oliver said nothing, his gaze flickering between Jaxon, Shawn, and Laura. He glanced down at the dinosaur plushie in his hands. He jumped a little when he felt the furry creature rub itself against his leg. Kiko, their cat, meowed once.

Oliver's eyes light up as he watches the cat rub against him. His fears are momentarily forgotten as he reaches down to pet Kiko's fluffy body. Jaxon bends down as well, a smile on his face. "And this is Kiko."

"Kiko," Oliver repeats back, meeting Jaxon's eyes. He sits on the carpet, crisscrossed as he plays with the cat.

Meanwhile, Laura lingered by the door, pausing to catch Shawn's eye. With a gentle nod from Shawn, Jaxon rose to his feet, gesturing for Laura to join them in the living room. She approached cautiously, her expression a mix of empathy and professionalism.

"Is Oliver okay with Kiko?" Laura asked softly, her eyes darting between the boy and the cat.

Jaxon nodded, a small smile tugging at his lips. "Seems they've hit it off already. She's very sweet, rarely scratches."

Laura smiles as she sits on the couch opposite Jaxon and Shawn. "That's good to see," she says, her tone soft and reassuring. "As you know, Oliver has been through a lot."

Laura sighs, her shoulders slumping. "You guys are aware that Oliver's parents left him at a fire station," she explained, her voice laced with sorrow.

They learned about Oli's situation a few weeks ago. His parents had dropped him off with nothing but a trash bag full of clothes and disappeared without a trace. He was found sleeping on one of the benches. Thankfully, someone found him and called authorities.

"I just wanted to tell you guys that...this transitional period may be a little tough. He's very shy and...Well, he doesn't like to speak much to people.  He's generally anxious and it's hard for him to get to sleep. It might take a while for him to open up."

Jaxon can feel the lump forming in his throat as he squeezes Shawn's hand. He glances down at the boy, who is seemingly more calmed down. He was showing Kiko his plushie.