027

Pretty When I Cry

Dani's pov ☀︎

As soon as we arrived at my house we ran up the stairs and as soon as we got to my door Robin crashed her lips onto mine, and I could feel the smile coming across my lips as I kissed her back as I opened the door. As soon as we entered the room I stepped away from her turning on music before going back over to Robin.

I placed my lips onto hers again places my hands on her lower back pulling her closer to me. Robin placed her had on the zipper of my jacket, "Is this ok?" she asked in a low tone.

"Mhm," I responded as she slide the jacket off of me still keeping her lips connected to mine. She had her fingers resting under the hem of my cheer top. I removed Robins jacket throwing it to the same place as she had thrown my jacket.

She then started pulling on the shirt so I moved back slightly raising my arms as she pulled it off, but not exactly with ease. "God they need to make these things easier to take off," she chuckled.

"Yeah let me just call the person who makes the uniforms and tell them to make them easier to take off," I told her and we both started laughing slightly before our lips connected once again. She placed her hands under my thighs picking me up and carrying me over to the bed.

——————————

MARCH 22ND 1986

"Dani," I heard her voice say in a hushed tone, as I started opening my eyes seeing her bright blue eyes in front of me. "I just wanted to tell you I'm about to head out to work."

"What? No, let me drive you," I replied sitting up in my bed pulling the sheets up to cover myself.

"You don't have to," she replied sitting down on the bed.

"Just let me change, it'll be real quick! Plus driving will be a lot quicker than you on your bike," I reminded her with a small smile across my face. "I can drop you off then go buy Steve and you breakfast."

"I mean the breakfast is pretty convincing," she replied with a smile coming across her face. "I'll see you downstairs," she said getting up and kissing me on the forehead before walking out of my room and closing the door. I got out of bed throwing jeans and a pink sweater on and pulling my hair into a half up half down look before heading downstairs.

"Ready?" I asked sitting in front of the door putting shoes on as Robin made her way over to me. "You know someday I'm gonna teach you how to drive," I tell her grabbing the car keys.

"Hey I brought you home after that party one time! And we got home pretty safely if I do say so myself!"

"Rob, we almost crashed like 3 times," I replied trying to hold back a laugh as we got into the car.

"Did not!"

"Did too! I was drunk and even I can remember that," I said letting out a small laugh as I put a mixtape Robin had made for me for Hanukkah. The music started playing as I pulled out of the drive way and started heading down all the roads. But as we approach Groveland Street I see what seems to be thousands of police cars and Mr. and Mrs. Adams standing there. "There's still 30 minutes until you need to be there, can I pull over?" I asked slowly the car down waiting for her response. Robin nodded her head and I pulled over on the side.

I got out of the car heading over to Serena's parents. "Hey, is everything ok?" I asked walking over to the two of them.

"They found her," was all Mrs. Adams said. And for a moment relief came over my body knowing she was safe and had just ran away. "But they were too late. She's dead," she told me and that last word stung. My chest felt like bricks were sitting on top of it just waiting for me to give up and he smushed beneath them.

"What? No, no! That can't be true," I said shaking my head trying to deny what she had just told me. And then suddenly everything went quiet as a black body bag was pulled out from the woods and set in the back of an ambulance. I could feel my eyes begin to burn as the tears came down my cheeks. Mrs. Adams looked away as she watched her daughter put into the back of the ambulance. Mr. Adams had his hand on the back of her blonde hair, and I could feel my heart physically sinking.

The silence was broken as I felt Robins hand on my shoulder. I turned around and I could see her eyes searching mine trying to find answers of what was happening. "She's gone Robin," I told her with my voice shaking. And as soon as I told her that she rapped her arms around me holding the back of my head as I sobbed into her shoulder. "S-she's my best friend," I cried into her.

"I know, I know," she replied and I could hear the sadness in her voice. It's as if everything's moving in slow motion.

"I should've know something was wrong when she didn't show up to school! I shouldn't tried looking for her more! I should've-."

"This is not your fault. There is nothing you could've done to be able to stop this," she tried reassuring me, but with every word she spoke there's no part of me that believes her. Because I could've driven her home that night, and maybe things would be different? She would be alive and we would be sitting in my room doing homework planning out our features together.

Figuring out how we'd design our dorms at NYU and me dressing up in Serena's latest design. But now, that will never happen again. "I can't be here," I said pulling away rubbing my hand under my eyes.

"Where do you want to go?" she asked me squeezing onto my hand.

"Can I just go with you to work? I- I need a distraction," I told her with hiccups in between some of the words.

"Yeah, yeah of course," she said rapping her arm around me as we walked back to the car. "I can drive if you need me to."

"No I'll be fine," I replied sitting down in the car. I just stared out in front of me blocking everything out. I didn't even realize Robin had gotten into the car until she grabbed my hand rubbing her thumb across the top of mine. I kept the radio turned down on the whole drive there. I could feel the tears streaming my down my face as we took each turn and with every time Robin looked over at me. But after little we had finally made it to Family Video. "I'm just gonna sit in the car for a little," I said as I parked.

"Do you want me to stay with you?" she asked looking over at me. All I did was shake my head no, at first she was hesitate, but then left me alone like I had asked. I rested my head on the stirring wheel thinking about all of our times together. The good, the bad, all of them. I picked at my pink nail polish that she had bought me for my birthday last year.

I sat up looking into the mirror fixing the star of David necklace she had gifted me a few years prior. I decided I would never take it off, so that I could always have her with me, and I now I guess this is the only way to carry her with me.

a/n:

hey at least the first part was happy 🧍‍♀️

anyways have a good rest of ur day/night/afternoon or where ever you are! love u <3

- a

(word count: 1357)