Chapter 2: Mature Men

Sipping on his tea, Y/N sighed. His good friend John, who had now been present, sat across from him happy and chattering about as jolly as a man could be.

He couldn't keep up with his constant words, and so, would usually only manage to tune in at certain times.

He had thought about his encounter with Phillip that day. It was kind of surprising that the boy didn't even think to pull the usual 'salt in beverage' trick again.

He definitely could tell he was planning something though. So he was trying to be prepared for it.

"Y/N. Y/N." John's voice became noticeable, and caused Y/N to spit out his own drink. Muttering a "yes?" after his heavy coughing, John sighed.

"Dear friend, is everything alright? Phillip didn't pull something today, did he?" Asked John, concern in his dark brown eyes.

"Yes. Yes." Y/N repeated twice, adjusting his shirt.

"Y/N, your never this quiet. You usually care enough to actually respond to me." John's eyes dropped with concern once more, making Y/N turn his head away.

"I know, I know, my apologies.. its just.." He cleared his throat, "Phillip and I may have had an aggresive encounter today on church grounds. Well.. more so, he made it aggressive."

"How so?" John asked.

"Well, he had been teasing me, and I.. a bit irritated by his stupid look of smugness, tried to get back at him by insulting his father." Y/N inhaled then continued, "He then got angry with me.. and well, wanted to duel."

John blinked in surprise, "Pardon?!" He held his hand under his chin.

"Dont worry, I said no. I don't dislike him enough to the point of me potentially wounding him. But he sure does when it comes to his so called 'pops' it seems." Y/N immediately replied to his worried look.

"Oh thank the Lord.. I didn't want my friend to immediately die after i just got back from France." John happily said, relieved.

Y/N softly smiled, "Me neither. Your a pleasure to be around, my dear friend."

"You too, Y/N. I enjoy your company too much to lose you." John laughed, but his tone shifted. "But please, do be careful around that man. If he gets that angry, it may be dangerous to even be around him at all."

"I will, no worries." Promised Y/N, before taking a sip of his tea once more.

-

Y/N walked on the sidewalk, preparing to return to the home that his father had owned. His errands were done for today, and now he could finally go home and relax. Spend some time with his sister, all of his family.

The sunlight slowly settled, the city soothed in its warm orange glow. Y/N had never once thought this city would be so calming. He had found it hard to be calming ever since his dear mother had passed.

His face darkened as he remembered that day; his father on his knees, sobbing about her demise as both him and his beloved sister tried to comfort him while also sobbing themself.

It was hard to find comfort in anything at all from that point on.

Shaking his head, he thought: "Do not cry, Y/N. Mature men such as yourself do not get enveloped by emotion so easily."

As he continued to walk along, he neared his house and softly smiled upon seeing it. As soon as he came in, he could greet his family, go up to his room and relax.

Then, a voice appeared from behind him.

"Well, if isnt Y/N Burr, sir.."

He knew who it was already, furrowing his brows in annoyance before turning back with no emotion visible. It was him. The irritating Philip Hamilton.

"Hamilton." He muttered, "Is there something you need?" Asked he.

Philip clicked his tongue, "Well its obvious. Figured a smart man like you would actually know that." He smirked.

Y/N raised his eyebrows, "With you, it's never obvious, Hamilton. Now for the last time.. do you need something?" He inquired again.

"Listen, it's quite simple. I need that duel. You talk about my father, I cannot let that slide." Philip said, stepping closer with a look of hidden malice in his light blue eyes.

"You've let all the other times i pissed you off slide before, how come this one is so important to you?" Asked Y/N, raising an eyebrow.

"Because that's my fucking father. You can't say shit about my father. I'm makin' him proud.. so.." Philip held out his hand, "Agree to the duel or don't, Burr. If you don't, then I'll make your life a living hell."

Y/N inhaled, "Hamilton."

Philip smiled and raised a brow, "Yes?~" He said in a curious tone.

"Is there anything that doesn't require me to kill you that would leave you satisfied?" Asked Y/N.

"You seem pretty certain that I'll die.." Philip commented.

"You seem certain that you won't. Believe me, while I am a terrible shot, I know a reckless and arrogant man such as yourself wouldn't last a second in a duel." Y/N's eyes twinkled with frustration.

"Excuse me?" Philip sounded offended as he retracted his hand.

"You heard me, Hamilton. I have no need to repeat myself. I may stand for nothing, but I do not think duels are necessary whatsoever." Y/N turned around, and began to walk foward.

"If you stand for nothing, Burr, what do you fall for?!" Philip asked, he knew he was getting angry again.

Y/N flinched, stunned from the question. But sighed, "The only thing I fall for is my loved ones. A duel caused by a petty man? That isn't what I will fall for."

"Now, good day to you, Hamilton. I have more things to attend to than I do a 19 year-old man in need of babysitting-"

When he began to walk off, he heard footsteps running up from behind him. When he turned to see what on earth he was doing-

He saw a fist flying directly toward his face.

//////////////////
Well damn Phillip-