Chapter 43: Slight Concerns.

Y/N found himself averting his gaze, the tension in his chest rising deep inside. Truthfully, he hadn't thought of what to reply with—a possibility of his enemy just messing with him had only then just appeared in his mind, and he then furrowed his brows. Of course his enemy wouldn't actually enjoy it, he was just doing it to fuck with him.

"Phillip—" Y/N began, "The day you actually enjoy an embrace from me will be the day you learn to not get yourself into trouble. Do not think me stupid, I know you did not enjoy an embrace from me of all people. We are merely working with one another so I can leave faster, though I wouldn't be surprised if you somehow managed to not realize that this entire time."

"The hell is that supposed to mean?" Phillip snarled, his gaze rather unsettling. Then, Y/N had found Phillip randomly flinching back, releasing himself off of Y/N—holding his hands up in a rather defensive position. Y/N knew he had only done this because of what he decided to do—he had contorted his body upwards, and brought his face rather close under Phillips chin.

"It means that we are not companions, and we will never enjoy one another's company. Do you think I lack that much intelligence?" Y/N slightly inched his face closer to Phillips—in this position, he found his eyes quite literally fixed on Phillips lips. "Reminder that you didn't know cows made milk, yet your a college graduate—"

"What the hell do you think your doin' by gettin' like this?" Phillip had asked in a rather soft, yet almost defensive tone, as if he thought Y/N were going to physically harm him while they were both stuck in this position.

"I do not think myself to be doing anything—now unless you want us to be walked in on again, you will get out of my way and allow me to get my book—or do you want to end up with another injury?" Y/N asked, his voice low and almost in a hushed tone. Phillip found himself slightly backing away as Y/N slowly leaned his body closer.

"Your fuckin' insane, man." Phillip shuddered, his voice illuminated in an almost deep red color—had the lighting in the room made him appear this way? It was rather strange to watch his facial expressions look so oddly.. flustered.

"I could say the same for you," Y/N rolled his eyes, "now get out of my way." Phillip surprisingly did not bother to fight back once Y/N had shoved him to the side, he had managed to conveniently land on his back on the upper side of the bed. While Y/N had only finally stood up from the bed, and began to approach his book that was on the ground.

Y/N stopped as he extended his hand to grab the book—perhaps he could get back at Phillip for even attempting to mess with him that way? "You know, Phillip, even with how irritating you can be—" Y/N slightly turned his head back with a forced smirk, "I found myself rather enjoying that position."

Phillips eyes had widened for a second, and his lips quivered—though he only turned his head with masked anger—and had growled the words, "Oh, dont try to fuckin' mess with me like that, man."

"Hm.." Y/N hummed, "then don't try to mess with me that way either, darling."

As Y/N grabbed the book, he could have sworn he heard Phillip whisper something in reply, yet he only ignored it and began to approach his makeshift bed.

————

Phillip had practically buried himself under the covers of his blanket, though his eyes peeked out of it, as he stared at the reading Y/N. He had known what the book was, as he did read it himself before—"The Castle Of Otranto" written by Horace Walpole. He was rather impressed that his enemy had known of such a book.

"Your staring at me again." Y/N suddenly rasped. "What do you need?"

"How do you always know when I'm lookin' at you?" Phillip asked, slightly lowering the covers, looking as if he were rather horrified by the knowledge of how he had been staring at him.

"I do not feel as if I need to explain. But you clearly do not stare at me unless you need something, so what is it?" Y/N had stared back at Phillip with his dark/light e/c eyes. Though Phillip had only averted his gaze once he found himself making eye contact with his enemy.

It went silent for a few moments, before Phillip had finally spoken up from the protection of his covers.

"What do you think happens when we die?"

"...I do not see why you are asking me this."

It went silent again, before Phillip had layed on his back, spreading his legs as he looked up at the ceiling. "Do you think that.. that death has a purpose maybe? That maybe somethin' will happen when you die. I—I just wanna know what you think, man."

"...we are enemies, Phillip. I do not see why you are insistent on seeing what I think of whatever you have on your mind. Are you perhaps softening up to me?" Y/N had joked in a dry tone, though Phillip only rolled his eyes, and Y/N furrowed his brows. This wasn't typical behavior for his enemy. What could have possibly been going on?

"I.. I do believe that death has a purpose, sometimes. Maybe if it was a self-sacrifice for a greater cause, or if it perhaps was because natural causes decided to take them into the chains of death. But other than that, death will always have a cause and a purpose." Y/N paused, "Do you believe that death has a purpose?"

"I.. I dunno, man. I only know that we all go to Heaven or Hell when we die."

"That isn't what I mean by a purpose—I mean why a person would specifically die.. do you believe death caused by a wound in a duel would have a purpose?"

"..if it was for someone's honor, maybe."

"Someones honor does not mean you shall potentially die—I say, what kind of mindset have you been given, Phillip?"

"..why are you callin' me by my first name now?"

"Unimportant. The important thing is that you believe that getting yourself killed for the sake of someones honor is a good thing—you shouldn't duel someone just because they said something bad about someone you care about. Let people be cynical, as hard as it is."

"..."

Y/N closed his book, and glanced around for a moment. "I believe that tomorrow you may be healed enough to finally have to spend time with me again."

"Oh boy.."

"Please, rest. I do not wish to deal with you if you deprive yourself of sleep. I may need to continue this conversation with you tomorrow."

"Why? Do you care about me or somethin'?"

"No, of course not, only people that lack intelligence would do such a thing."

"You—"

"Quiet, I do not feel like arguing with you before I rest. I.." Y/N paused again, "I wish you a decent sleep."

"...good-night to you too."

////////////////
Sorry for not uploading in a few days—I had a dentist appointment yesterday. But in any case—what do you think of Phillips relationship with Y/N so far?