Chapter 46: That Damn Smirk.

The soft melody of the music had intertwined with Y/Ns deep/high singing voice, his body relaxed against the wall of the building as he continued to sing along with it. His eyes were half-lidded, almost as if the very relaxing sensation of the melody had rather soothed him for a few moments more. For brief seconds, he had almost smiled, though his face quickly went blank afterwards.

As he continued to sing along, he had been surprised with how long the band had been playing it—he hadn't remembered the song being so long, yet he could remember all the words deeply. So intimate, so romantic, it was a rather touching song even for a rather calm and emotionless man such as himself. He could feel himself succumbing to a smile for a moment, and gradually, he just gave a relaxed smile as he continued to sing.

And as the song slowly finished, the band members began to play another song, though Y/N had quickly stopped singing, as he did not recognize the song that had been playing now. How long had Phillip been gone? That thought had already crossed Y/Ns mind. Could he have possibly been flirting or messing around? Anything was possible with hi—

"Woah.."

Y/N had slightly flinched in reply to the sudden voice, and contorted his head to give direct eye contact to whomever it may have been, though his expression then dripped with horror once he had realized who it had been. Those light blue eyes were unmistakable—those freckles—

Phillip. He had returned, his eyes slightly widened as he continued to give direct eye contact to Y/N. But that wasn't what was important. He had seen it. He had witnessed Y/N singing his heart out, his enemy that had been normally so prone to not doing such a thing—Y/N looked to the ground, and crossed his arms, stepping foward from off of the wall.

"You've.. you've returned." Y/N commented, his tone iced with monotone embarrassment. Phillip continued to stare at him, his lips slightly parted, Y/N could feel his heart beating in a dull manner inside of his chest—just in the same speed Phillips heart had been beating when they had both embraced. He had embarrassed himself in front of his enemy—damnit!

But why? Why had he cared? Perhaps Phillip would use this as a chance to tease him?

"Uh-huh.." Phillip slowly nodded, his hand slightly extended, as if he were attempting to grab onto something. Y/N turned his body away from Phillip, to show he hadn't been interested in the slightest. He needed to be prepared for if Phillip had decided to use this as a cynical opportunity to torment him again. "Well, let us not waste anytime—shall we head to our table?"

...

"Phillip?"

Phillip had slowly nodded again, only just seemingly realizing that Y/N had been speaking to him; "Yeah, yeah, let's go." His voice sounded almost breathy, soft-spoken. What sort of emotion had the freckled man been displaying this time? Was he amazed, or was something else up his sleeve?

Y/N could only hope Phillip would not bring it up the moment they had sat at a table together.

————

The two hadn't taken long to find a table, and both skipped into one that had held an umbrella tightly in the middle of it. Y/N had sat in a wooden chair in front of the table. And Phillip had slipped into the chair across from him uncomfortably. The two both sat awkwardly, as Y/N held his hands together while looking down at them. The sun had glowed brightly from off of the table, illuminating him in an almost holy light.

"So.. you can sing, huh?" Phillip had smirked rather awkwardly.

..shit.

"I'm surprised you believe me to be even capable of doing such a thing—have you perhaps gone mad? It sounds almost as if your complimenting me."

"No, of course not, dumbass—why would I do that?"

"You said I could sing, how on earth would that be an insult?"

"I mean, me sayin' facts doesn't mean it's a compliment."

"...so you really do believe me to be slightly good at singing. How charming, I never expected Phillip Hamilton of all people to tell me such a thing—"

"Okay, shut the fuck up, man!"

For a moment, it had gone silent, and Y/N looked down at his hands again. He then sighed, "Phillip, I do genuinely want to know this, i... honestly am curious about this myself." Phillip slightly looked up from looking down at his lap, curious of what he could have to ask. "What is it?"

"...if—if you really do find me irritating to be around, how come you always speak to me regardless? You always ask me pointless questions, as if you want to know more. Do—do you want to know more?"

"Heh, now your the one askin' questions."

"That is not an answer."

Phillip only let out a gentle hum, and for a moment, he had only smirked at Y/N whom had sat across from him. His eyes were filled with animalistic hunger, as if he wanted to take a bite out of Y/N that very second. Y/N felt himself slightly shudder under Phillips gaze, yet he remained calm.

The two had stared eachother in the eyes for a few moments more, but then, Phillip had slightly inched his hand foward upon the table. "Listen, man. We're bein' forced to be around eachother, you think I'm just gonna stay quiet like that?"

"No, with you, your never quiet."

"Heh, I thought you'd say that."

Phillip had once again inched his hand closer, his slender fingers mere 2 inches away from Y/Ns fingers. Y/N slightly swallowed his spit, and continued to look into his enemy's eyes.

"But hey, I gotta entertain myself somehow.. it ain't ever quite fun around you when we're both stayin' silent, ya know?" His voice was rather low in comparison to his rather usual enthusiastic and bratty tone. Y/N continued to stare regardless.

"You find tormenting me in cynical ways fun?"

"Heheh.. keep it down, baby—you might show some actual emotion for once."

Y/N held back a growl.

Phillip then slowly began to slide his fingers on top of Y/Ns, Y/N did not move his hand, only watching in slight surprise as h continued to slightly move them closer and closer—until eventually, Phillips palm had then rested upon Y/Ns hand. He then slightly grasped tightly, making Y/N snarl.

"You know, it's real funny to see you pretend like my words don't hurt you. It's real funny to see you also pretend you ain't effected by any of this."

"What on earth does that mean?"

"I've seen how red your face gets when your angry with me.. you think I haven't noticed?"

"...I—"

Y/N had slightly stopped in the middle of what he had been about to say, watching as Phillips thumb began to rub on the top of his hand, his soft skin caressing Y/Ns own skin. Y/N felt his breathing slightly increase from how uncomfortable he had felt, but continued to speak anyway.

"I do not—you—you really are insufferable, Phillip. I should not have thought that you could have possibly have had any other reason as to why you behaved the way you did."

"Hm? So you thought I might actually be doin' all this because of somethin' else?.. Heh, you really are cute."

"Ahem.."

The waiter had arrived with the food, looking down at them both with an arched brow. They both immediately flinched back, Y/N slightly straightening himself up once he had noticed the waiters presence. How many times was this going to keep happening? Why had Phillip seemed so intent on being intimate with him in public spaces? Then again, he knew it was probably for the sake of embarrassing him.

Y/N seethed. He had hoped Phillip hadn't planned on doing this the entire time they were with one another.

/////////////////
E