Chapter 62: Pepper.

As the woman with the dark eyes eagerly approached, Phillip smirked and began to speak in that same smooth tone he always did—the bustling sounds surrounding them raised in volume again, yet Phillip began to open his mouth to speak despite the sheer volume of everything, and Y/N only sighed, preparing for whatever it was Phillip was about to do.

"Hey, miss!"

"Oh, hello, Phillip—" Stated she, smiling still, "What brings you and.." Her smile faded once she processed Y/Ns presence, and her tone lowered, "..him here?". Y/N kept quiet, for he figured it would be better not to respond or engage in the conversation in order not to waste time or be caught. He hated to admit it, but it was probably the better option to let Phillip take the lead.

Phillip scratched the back of his head nervously, but he remained with a straight posture, smiling that same smile he always did. "Well, we found Mary, so I wanna thank you and that other girl for helpin' us.."

The woman only smiled, shaking her head and speaking calmly. "It is no problem, Phillip. We just wanted to assist you."

"Yeah.. yeah.." Phillip glanced to the side, clearly searching in his mind for what to say—then with a smile upon his lips again, he finally said, "Just.. one more favor though. Ya see her over there don't you? Behind the wall?"

The woman cocked her head to the side as Phillip gestured behind the wall, and walked foward—she looked behind it, and glanced back at Phillip, nodding slowly. "Yeah, I see her. Why? Is there something you need from her?"

"I.. can't really say what we're doin', but we kinda need her to go away for a few seconds so we have enough time to do what we wanna do." Phillip continued to scratch the back of his head. "Ya think you can help with that?"

The woman arched a brow, curious. "..it.. depends. What exactly do you need to do?"

Y/N looked up—in Phillips eyes, he saw him glancing around, his light-blue eyes swirling with a haze of confusion. Of course, Phillip most likely hadn't thought of an excuse for why they needed her to be gone for a moment. Phillip stammered. "Uh.. well, we.. uh.."

Y/N had known he didn't plan to interfere or engage in the conversation, yet something about the way Phillip was stammering hadn't led him to believe whatever excuse he would come up with would be a good one.

He hadn't exactly planned on engaging, for it would only waste time. But Phillip stammering would only waste more time.

...

Holding back a sigh, Y/N opened his mouth to speak, taking a step foward and speaking in a steady tone.

An idea for an excuse had already entered his mind as Phillip had been trying to come up with whatever it was his brain could possibly form for an excuse. "We had planned on eating here for our usual outing, but because of her.. behaviors and general way of acting toward everyone, we do not exactly want her to notice that we are here."

The woman remained with an arched brow, and, she inquired, "..alright, well, why can't either of you just go eat here a little later?"

Immediately, as if he were an actor reciting lines, Y/N replied, "We shall be having to attend to a certain private business of ours a little later today, and it shall last for so long that we wouldn't possibly be able to eat here by the time we were done—for it would only be closed."

"Now," Said Y/N, "you may agree to help us or not to help us—but we would not like to eat here with her knowing we were present and making our experience a living Hell."

The woman swallowed a little—as if pausing to think. Y/N could feel Phillip practically glaring at him—yet he ignored this and continued to speak anyway. "What shall be your answer?"

The woman paused, before finally speaking. "Well.. I'll help. I'll try to see if I can get her to walk away for a few minutes so you have enough time to go inside."

Y/N blinked, and then, he replied with calm smile slowly bearing itself upon his pale/dark lips: "Thank you, miss. I shall try my best to pay you back for this later."

The woman only replied with—"Yeah, no problem,"—before she slowly turned with a spin of her heel, and began to walk off to the table where Mary was sitting. Silence filled the air again, and Y/N poked his head out to watch whatever the woman was about to do to try and assist them. Though from behind him, he heard Phillip harshly speak.

"What the hell kind of excuse was that, dumbass?"

"A better one than what you would have come up with, Hamilton. She would have easily been able to tell you were lying off the bat—and had I not said a word, you would resort to flirtation yet again despite it having no relevance to our plan."

"Our plan? No, this was mine—you're just helpin' with it—"

"Do not be so childish. You sound as if you're a toddler and not a nineteen year-old college graduate with the way you speak."

"You're one to talk! You sound like a fourteen year-old tryin' to sound like some kinda wise-guy!"

"Comparing me to a fourteen year old, and yet you're the one acting as if you are above everyone else simply because you graduated from Kings College—"

"No, I don—"

"Shhh."

Y/N placed his finger over Phillips pink lips. He didn't say a word back to Phillip, but only glared for a moment before staring back at the woman.

The woman wasn't facing either Phillip or Y/N, so they couldn't tell what her face looked like—but as they continued to speak seemingly, Mary's normally aggresive expression began to calm a little, and her eyes seemed less sharp than normal. Mary stared up at the woman for a moment, before eventually lifting herself out of the seat she was sitting in, saying something in return to what the woman said.

She then turned around, and began to walk hurriedly toward another street that was near the building—the dark-eyed woman followed, but quickly looked back at them who were still behind the wall, and gestured for them to head inside.

They hadn't exactly planned on going inside, yet.. it would probably be a better hiding spot than just hiding behind the wall.

Y/N then looked up at Phillip. Speaking in a calm yet sharp tone, he stated, "Hand me the pepper."

"Uh.. alright.." Replied Phillip, a trickle of sweat dripping down his face as he slowly pulled out the bottle of pepper. The dark flakes inside made it seem as if it were dirt, and Y/N could smell its scent despite it all being in the bottle. Once he gripped the cold surface of the bottle with his hand, he simply ordered in a calm tone still, "Wait here."

Without taking a look back at Phillip, he turned and began to slowly walk toward Mary's table. He ignored the noises, the nearby people, the conversations he heard from others, the feeling of Phillip glaring upon him from behind. He walked, and walked, and walked—until finally, he stood directly in front of the table.

Slowly lowering the bottle of pepper, he began to shake it, his lips curled into a neutral frown. And the dark flakes of it slowly began to mingle their way onto the white cream—practically camouflaged with the dark chocolate sprinkles laying atop it.

Five seconds passed, and finally, Y/N determined that enough pepper had been shaken onto it. With a spin of his heel, Y/N walked back to where Phillip was standing, in a faster manner this time as he stared ahead.

Phillip gave him the same hard glare he always did, and rolled his eyes, yet he spoke in a softer tone. "Always wantin' to do shit yourself, huh? You really do just want all the credit for yourse—woah!"

Phillip wasn't able to finish the sentence, for Y/N grabbed him by the arm, shoved the pepper back into Phillips pocket once he did—and yanked Phillip toward the door of the resturant with a hurry of footsteps, harshly gripping the door handle once he made his way toward it and opening it quickly. Before he then rushed inside, and quickly shut the door behind them.

/////////////////
Askin' this cuz I'm curious—do any of you have a favorite part of this book so far? /genq