Chapter 44: Sons of Great Men.

"Phillip."

That was the first thing Phillip Hamilton had heard in the morning, his eyes immediately opening upon hearing it. Though quickly, he contorted his body in an upwards position and yelped in surprise—his enemy had been the once he had been greeted with the exact moment he has awoken. Y/N only stared at him with a blank face, and rolled his eyes. "Shit, man, you scared—you fuckin' scared me!" Phillip complained, still panting.

"I merely only said your name," Y/N grumbled, "now would you stop panting and listen to what I have to say?"

"Fuck, do.. do you always have somethin' to say in the mornings? This—is this how you say good mornin'?" Phillip breathed heavily, placing a hand on his own shoulder as if to support himself. Y/N sighed, and left his arms crossed as he stood up straight. For such a lonesome man, he had oddly good posture—either that, or he was forcing it.

"Quiet." Y/N commanded as he glared down at the freckled man, "Your family will be remaining here for today, but I would assume your injuries must have been healed enough by now for you to finally leave. I.. I was going to ask if I could see them once more before we left off to breakfast."

"Shit.. you think your my mother or somethin'?" Phillip sarcastically remarked, his breathing slowing. "No, you must really lack intelligence if you came to that conclusion." Phillip only groaned at Y/Ns reply. "So, is that a yes? May I see your injuries?"

Phillip thought for a moment. "Fine.. just make it fast."

"As you wish, your majesty." Y/N remarked in his own sarcasm, doing a false curtsy along with it in order to piss off his enemy more. This seemingly worked, as Phillip only clicked his tongue in irritation. Y/N sat down in a nearby chair, and decided to take a look at Phillips wrist first.

"Does it hurt when i touch it?" Y/N slightly pressured his thumb over where the injury would have been visible had it not been covered by the bandage. Phillip made a slightly sharp exhale, "It kinda stings a little when you do.."

"Hmmm.. I will take note of this. Perhaps we could go somewhere less crowded so you do not injure yourself again, and so I do not have to care for you." Y/N calmly said, still observing the bandage and how professionally wrapped it had been.

"Heh, you were the one who chose to save me though—I dunno why you act like you were forced to."

"Oh, shut it."

"What do ya know? Y/N Burr, not sayin' an entire paragraph for a change."

"Shut it!"

Phillip snickered slightly, and only continued to watch what Y/N had been doing. Y/N then found his eyes slightly directing toward Phillips eyes of light yet pastel blue. "Why are you smirking?" Y/N asked, his tone dry yet cautious.

"Its funny, ya know. I didn't ever think you'd actually try to save me."

"Please, I do not wish to have this conversation with you once more."

"I don't really wanna have it with you either—but for someone who claims to hate me, you seem really intent on savin' my ass."

"Say that again and I won't save you the next time your harmed."

"You don't mean that."

"Why do you think such a thing?"

"You wanna kill me yourself, don't you?"

"...no, I do not believe I do. Do you think of me as a cold-hearted monster?"

"With the way you act sometimes, maybe."

"Please, if anything, I'd say you'd be the cold-hearted monster."

"Dude, I think you have it backwards."

"I could say the same for you—do you intend on providing proof for me being cold-hearted other than the fact that I rarely show emotion?"

"Do you intend on ever givin' me proof that I'm cold-hearted?"

"I'd say with your cynical remarks and pranks, you'd be close to having no heart."

"Sheesh. And here I thought you might have actually cared for me."

"You sound almost upset."

"..."

"Would you like me to care for you?"

"..no, 'course not. Why would i ever?"

"I thought so. Now let me see the rest."

————

"There you are."

Y/N had softly said those words as he approached the door, seeing his enemy standing at the front of it. For a moment, he could feel himself succumbing to relief. Phillip only gave a slight smirk, and that feeling of relief began to vanish. "You sound almost happy to see me."

"Please, like I'd ever be. Now for our chosen location for today, we are most likely just going go spend all of our time at places to eat—or just a place to eat. So I shall hope your prepared." Phillip groaned in response, and left his arms crossed as he stared at the door. "Why couldn't I just stay for a few more days?"

"Your family would like us to bond, and frankly, I do not believe you being lazy would allow us to. They don't seem to realize being around eachother will not do anything." Y/N replied, taking a step beside Phillip. Phillip sighed, and Y/N stared down at the floor.

"About our conversation from last night.." Y/N softly breathed, "do you ever intend on dueling someone and getting yourself killed in the process? Or are you only doing it for the sake of your father, and not because of potential death?"

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"What I am trying to say is—do you realize the full consequences of potentially dueling someone? Once that bullet enters your chest, or the other person's chest—you end up potentially dying or being injured, or that persons family despises you for the test of your existence."

"You say that like you know from experience or somethin'."

"I do not need experience to realize the full consequences of dueling. It is a rather dumb practice, and I do not see why your so obsessed with it. Would you behead someone because they talked negatively about your father?"

"Would you do that if they talked about your family?"

"That isn't an answer, Phillip."

"...no, no I wouldn't. But I bet you'd do it if your pops told you to."

"..perhaps I would, but he is a kind-hearted man, he would never even attempt to do such a thing. He may be stern, but he does have morals. He isn't insane like you keep suggesting, Phillip."

Phillip sighed, "You only hate dueling because your pops hates it."

"And you only like it because your father taught you it was a way of honor."

"...fuck this, let's just get this over with—I dont wanna have to keep lookin' at you."

"Your constant staring says otherwise."

"Oh my—shut the fuck up, man!"

"I return those words respectfully, now let us leave off."

"What the he—"

Phillip was once again not able to finish, as he was then once again dragged out of the door by Y/N. Though Y/Ns exit seemed to be a bit more slow and cautious this time.

Perhaps he figure out why Y/N despised duels so much this time. Why he was so intent on doing anything for his family—why he was like this.

///////////////////
E