6| Business

~You were not born to just pay bills and die~

A/N
•Would just like to put out there that the line of work Tobias is in is not by choice which will be mentioned a few times later on and is touched on lightly.
•Would also like to put out there that it's not sex trafficking.

Evangeline's PoV
My mother was screaming and fighting to get to me. She couldn't reach me. He had tied her up to something I couldn't see. She was restrained yet she still thrashed around. My father stood above me looking even more evil than usual as he punched, kicked and stomped on me.

He stood on my fingers making me let out a painful scream as I heard the fragile bone crunch under his heavy boot.

Suddenly, my eyes snapped open and I gasped loudly. "You're safe," Enzo spoke pulling me into his chest and stroking my head. "It was just a nightmare."

I panted and tried to catch my breath as my skin suddenly felt sticky and disgusting. I did my best to try and heal my fingers but I don't think they ever healed right. Every bone he broke never healed correctly. I wasn't allowed to go to the hospital.

"I-I was screaming?" I felt him nod his head before he uttered the word 'yes' out. I let out a sigh, relaxing against his hold. I have no idea where his room is but it's close enough that he heard me screaming.

"Whoever hurt you can't hurt you anymore," he reassured me.

-

"Evangeline," Enzo sighed out. "Your name isn't mentioned in your fathers file." Why would it be? I am his nameless child. "Do you know why?"

I froze and thought about the answer he was asking for. I'm assuming he wants to know about my past because after all I am a 'ghost'. I have a strange feeling that Enzo has an inkling of my past, mostly because of that nightmare last night and the fact that he said I won't be hurt anymore. "You want to know or Tobias does?," I asked, trying to avoid giving him an answer.

"We all do. You've been here for a few days now and we're just curious," he told me honestly. "But you don't need to tell the rest of us but you will have to tell Tobias."

"Why?"

"He's the owner or leader in our line of work," he spoke carefully choosing his words.

"He makes all the big decisions?" He nodded his head. I nodded mine and sat quietly before Enzo took me to his office.

"Evangeline," Tobias spoke, greeting me. I nodded my head as I sat down. He cleared his throat. "I need you to tell me everything about you and your past."

He leaned back in chair as I sat forward, clearly uncomfortable. "I'm not in my fathers file."

"I already know that." I took a deep breath and opened my mouth to speak before closing it again, making me look like a fish. "I'm waiting," he demanded.

Everything about my past...

He let out a sigh and leaned forwards. "Just tell me the basics about you, like your full name, your age, those things."

I nodded my head feeling a little better. "I-I'm Evangeline Kingston. I'm 18 years old. I've never been to school so I never sat any exams or anything. Is that all you need?"

"You've never been to school?," he asked puzzled.

"My mom homeschooled me." Suddenly, his eyes zeroed in on my face and he reached out and held my chin. He turned my face to the side as he analysed something. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as he did what he felt he needed to. "W-What are you doing?"